LoveFilm.com uk members help plz!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AEP, Sep 26, 2007.

1. AEP macrumors member

Just wondering if anybody on here has had any experiences with love film?

http://www.lovefilm.com/visitor/home.html

i watch a LOT of DVD's a least one a day, sometimes more due to the fact that i work on the night shift most of the time, and well lets just say while the boss is away the employes will play!

and because im working during the nights i miss all the good T.V. programs (in fact the last series i watched was Lost series one, rented from our local video shop, that doesn't have the best collection of T.V. shows)
    Lovefilm seems to have a vast choice of T.V. shows and of corse movies, so this could really work for me!

all seems well you would think! But isn't there always a catch, Reading reviews online seems like they can be a bit... well crap when it comes to customer service, and by crap i mean complete ignoring members wishes to cancel, and just taking money from people who thought they had canceled only for love film to say that they haven't received their DVD's back and therefore just kept taking the cash!

while i appreciate that maybe the people doing all the moaning may be the the unlucky few, just thought i would ask on here if anyone has any experiences good, bad or indifferent!

any help or experiences would be greatly appreciated

2. 210 macrumors regular

DVD Rental

I was with ScreenSelect before LOVEFiLM bought them up. I loved them and watched loads of DVDs. Their delivery times were very good, although I heard it's not so great now. I became totally addicted and it just consumed my evenings trying to watch them as soon as possible so I can get the next lot quicker.

3. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

The problem with the people talking on the net about things is people can rarely be bothered to say anything when there is not a problem.

However lovefilm is obviously not perfect, but it is pretty much the only choice in the UK (take a look thay actually run most other options, eg tesco online rentals is lovefilm without the adult titles).

I'm on the 3 disk option which is 15 quid a month (well 16 now but I signed up ages ago and still get the lower price) and provides me with a lot of entertainment.

I cannot give any advice about how they are when you leave as I have not left yet (I signed up 6.4.6 acording to my welcome email I just looked up) however I have a friend that left and did not have problems (he has since resubscribed).

The only problem is that no matter what they say if you are returning things very fast then you get lower priority and your next disks come slower than usual (and obviously you can't argue as they pull the blame the post card) but then again I can't spend all my time watching stuff so I generally go through 3 disks a week and have no problems.

I have had disks being lost in both directions and have not had any problems with them about it. They just get you to sign a declaration saying what happened so they can claim on their insurance.

I have also had a few disks that would not play (and if you looked at the underside of the disk you would know why) and the moment you reported it online a new copy was on the way when available or at least another disk was sent out straight away (ie before you send the duff disk back).

All in all as long as you would be happy with around 3/4 disks a week and think the price is ok (hard to compare to brick and mortar store since each disk is counted as a sperate rental) then go for it!

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I'm on a three month free trial with lovefilm. All I can say so far is that they have a good fast turnaround, when I send a DVD back I get one as fast as the post service allows.

5. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

I'm with Amazon. I pay 10 pounds a month for 6 films, 3 at any one time and turn around is normally posted on day 1, received by them d2 and replacement arrives on day 3. Certainly worth checking out and not about to go bust anytime soon (one would hope).

6. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Why don't you just give them a try? I've got two 3 month free trial passes that they sent to me a few weeks ago, if you'd like one PM me :) Won't cost you a thing if you decide to cancel before the end of 3 months.

7. AEP thread starter macrumors member

The problem with the people talking on the net about things is people can rarely be bothered to say anything when there is not a problem.

yea thats what i was thinking, so thats why i asked for anyones advice, thanks carrot. :)

Why don't you just give them a try? I've got two 3 month free trial passes that they sent to me a few weeks ago, if you'd like one PM me Won't cost you a thing if you decide to cancel before the end of 3 months.

Thats the very reason i was thinking of checking them out, a couple of their 3 month passes dropped through my door last week! Thanks very much for the offer NATO very much appreciated!

Thanks to one and thanks to all for your comments, nobody had anything bad to say so maybe thats a good sign, think i'll give them a go! :)

8. bspqs macrumors newbie

Be aware

I have to agree that Lovefilm have vast stock of DVDs. However, be aware of the following:

1. During trial they dispatch discs very quickly, once you've siged up and become a member there will be delays. The turnaround is 4 days for me to get next DVDs

2. Read the terms and condtions carefull when it comes to cancellation. You can't do it until they've received all returned DVDs. This is a bit tricky because you can never predict how long it will take before the next payment. I had to stay with them because it showed 'dispatching soon' on the system and their staff said new discs had always been sent.

3. They've recently moved one title I've waited for two months to the 'reserved' list. Emailed them and the explanation was 'the title had limited stock'. Why was it available in the first place? Shouldn't I be moved forwarded after 2 months wait? I was really annoyed about this.

9. bgd macrumors regular

I used them for a year or so, never really had any issues. I think once they sent me something I hadn't ordered and once a returned DVD went missing. Otherwise they were fine. Only cancelled my subscription when I left the country.

10. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

turnaround times are ok for me 3 day's but the discs are mostly always scratched

Amazon was much better till they transfered to Lovefilm

11. bspqs macrumors newbie

Lack of business morals

This is the reply I got from Lovefilm after they removed a title from 'available list' to 'reversed with release date unknown', after waiting for 2 months.

"We would like to inform you that when a title is yet to release or the rental version of a title is not available, then the title is moved to reserve list until further notice"

Why was the title available in the first place? Making customers think the DVD is available then saying the DVD is not even released is either poor management or lack of businss morals.