Resolved Loving the iPad/iPhone combo, but have a question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ardchoille50, Nov 20, 2016.

1. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

i currently have an iPhone 6s and an iPad Pro 9.7 and have been successful in replacing my desktop machines with this iOS combo. I'm happy enough that I can now sell my Mac mini without consequence. One question, though. The chargers are different for the iPhone and iPad Pro devices. Is it possible to use only one charger for both devices? Can I charge the iPhone 6s AND the iPad Pro 9.7 with just the iPad charger? I'm not an expert in battery tech or the needs of each device, so I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before possibly damaging one of my devices. Would it damage the iPad Pro to charge it from the iPhone charger, or vice versa?

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Yes.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202105

3. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Someone will chime in that I'm stupid and wrong, but the only times my iPhones have gotten warm while charging is when using the iPad charger. And guess what my 5s eventually failed from at 1.5 years old? Battery expansion.

So you can use the iPhone charger on any device, no problem there other than the iPad will take hours to charge. But I would only use an iPad charger on an iPad.

4. ardchoille50 thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, I wouldn't call anyone stupid, but the information in the link that @Hal~9000 posted does seem to conflict with your the experience. The reason that your iPhone got warm when charging from the iPad charger is apparently due to the difference in wattage between the chargers. Being that Apple designs and manufactures these devices, I'm more inclined to trust the information given by them. I will, however, keep a close eye on my devices.. any experience that runs contrary to the manufacturer's statements is not without merit.

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I have a variety of cables connected to a USB charging hub which I use to charge my iPhone and iPad, amongst other devices. Working well so far. You could consider using that at home, if you are still on the fence.

6. ardchoille50 thread starter macrumors 68020

You're the second person to mention this. It's a good idea and I'll be looking into it. I also have a Kindle, so this may work out best for my needs.

7. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Thanks. I find it's generally a pain to manage the charging of multiple ios devices with a single cable. I also have a pebble watch and a pair of Bluetooth headphones to charge periodically and a charging hub simply seemed more convenient.

8. Skika macrumors 68030

Been using iPad chargers with iPhones since the iPad 1. Never had a single problem.

9. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I have an iPad Mini 4 and an iPhone 6. I've been using the iPad charger for both of them for over a year now with no problems.

It's likely that your phone had a defective battery. No one can say for sure whether using the iPad charger made things worse, but I would say that there's enough evidence, including Apple's own statements, to suggest that a normal iPhone battery shouldn't be damaged by an iPad charger. Not saying that you're stupid or wrong, but I don't think that your case is typical.

10. ericwn macrumors 65816

Another user here who usually charges his devices via the iPad charger, for years. Have not encountered any problems.

11. craig1024 macrumors regular

I used my iPad charger with my iPhone 5s for three years and have had no issues the phone still has 85% original capacity.

12. ardchoille50 thread starter macrumors 68020

@M. Gustave after reading some threads on various forums, I'm beginning to believe that your negative experience was due to a faulty battery.

13. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

I use iPad Pro charger to juice up my iPhone. The smaller brick takes too long to fully charge the Plus.

14. ssledoux macrumors 6502

ssledoux

I use my iPP charger to charge my phone, and when my grandkids are here, all their iPad minis. Anytime my dds are here, they also use my "big" charger because it charges the phones so much faster. We haven't had any issues in the past.

15. ardchoille50 thread starter macrumors 68020

Update: since posing this question, I have followed the advice of many of the contributors in this thread and found that my iPhone appears to show no problems when being charged from the iPad Pro charger - the iPhone doesn't even become warm during charging. I thank you all for your contributions, your efforts are appreciated.

16. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

The only side effect I've had from using my iPad charger with my 6+ is now I can charge it much faster, which is handy the few times I forget to put it on the charger before bed and need to juice it up before work. :cool: