Loving the kindness of Strangers!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ih8reno, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Recently I have gotten a powerbook g4 12 ich off of kijiji and on the way to the pickup the buyer texted me that I can have it free and forget about the cash. I also got some ram sticks free from a small computer repair place which worked perfectly on my powermac g4 to double the installed ram. Just had to say that its awesome when people are generous like this. Have any of you gotten your cool PowerPc's through kindly donations?

2. RedCroissant, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

RedCroissant Suspended

Hell yes I have!!!!

I got my second iBook G4 (1.42 14" with 1 GB RAM) from someone that said they were trying to pay it forward. It turned out that they treated it like S#!^ so I had to fix it up, but once I did, it was pretty great. I also got a 20" iMac G5 1.8GHz (with KB, mouse, scanner, printer, usb wireless-n adapter), a PowerMac G4(with KB, mouse, and display) and an iMac G3(that still had OS 8 on it I think) for free from a local business man that was trying to find ways to purge his older inventory without having to bother with the flakes on CL. Eyoungren has the PM and the iMac G3 now, and I'm trying to offload the PPC iMacs that I have now(the 20" and a 1.9GHz 17" G5 w iSight).

I was also "given" a PM G5 quad (with a 23" ACD, keyboard, mouse, and the user manuals) for $200. I had the money at the time and maxed out the RAM, took apart my non-working external HDD enclosures for the HDDs in there and had a RAIDed 2TB, 16GB PM G5 running Leopard until money stuff forced the sale. :-(

And most recently, another member on here sent me a Mac Mini core solo with an upgraded CPU that can run Lion, and a 14" iBook G4 to replace mine that was beginning to fail!

3. =E= macrumors regular

=E=

You guys are lucky. I have paid for all my macs. I don't get them for free. I would love it if I could get them for free. Even old ones. They are cool. :) :apple: :p

4. RedCroissant Suspended

I think what's lucky is that I technically live in a "upper middle class" area and some people have no real understanding of 10 year old computers and decide that they're worthless. OR those owned by businesses are written off because they have fully depreciated according to their accounting department, and then they write off the purchase of a new one and decide to simply part ways with them.

If you happen to be in the Phoenix area, then maybe we can work something out if you're in the market.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Was given two PowerMac G4s and a PowerBook G4. One was a QuickSilver Dual 800 with 768 MB of RAM and an 80 GB HD. The other was a MDD with the final 1.25 single G4 and 768 MB of RAM and a 160 GB HD. The MDD has a motherboard fault I need to work out though.

The PowerBook is a 1.67 with an 80 GB HD, 768 MD RAM, and finally Leopard.

6. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

My beloved DA 466, Jeanine, is a giveaway. My old boss was going to toss it out and before doing so, he asked me if I wanted it. Without hesitating, I said yes.

After several years of standby status, it was thrown into daily driver service in October of 2012 after my PowerBook G4 died in a freak power accident. Since coming online as a daily driver, it has received 1.5 GB RAM (768 original), a 64 MB GeForce MX4 video card (ATI Rage 128 16MB original), a Sonnet Tempo IDE controller card, a DVD+R IDE burner (replacing the original CD-RW), and five extra hard drives in various sizes.

This Mac was the first machine I built myself.

7. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I've never got a Mac free. The cheapest I've paid for one was $20 and that was a B&W in 2011 :eek: Most expensive? Almost $1200 when I had my MacBook Air

Then when I see one at a flea market or something, it seems that it always comes home with me. I overpay for some PPC macs (like my 800MHz iMac G4 for $50). Can't ever leave them behind! Now if it's like a $500 2007 iMac that people overprice, then... it can stay.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Especially since the 2007 models are at the bottom of the Mavericks requirements. There is no reason to get an obsolete Intel Mac when a modern one is not much more. PPC is different however.

9. FigmentNewtonII macrumors member

I got my iBook G4 from my grandparents. I was visiting one day and I remembered that they had it and don't use it anymore. So I asked if I could have it and put it to use. They said sure and gave it to me.

10. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

No PPCs for free yet, (the prices are getting there though) but I did pick up a PowerBook G3 PDQ at a swap meet for $5. Came with the original accessory kit with a CD-ROM, Floppy Drive, a ZIP Drive and 1 battery expansion modules. Also, a spare YoYo Adapter. It all works (minus the battery).

Also found a guy on CL selling a bunch of PowerBooks. E-Recyler. Ended up getting a 1 TiBook, 1 1.67GHz DLSD PBG4 15", 1 1.5GHz PBG4 12", and a Lombard G3 for a good price. TiBook needed no work. 15" PBG4 needs a top case and a hard drive and a few other pieces. G4 12" needs some screws and a RAM shield, and the Lombard needed a new HDD.

Problem is in SoCal, whenever someone sees an Apple logo, the automatically think its worth something. No matter the age or condition, its worth something.

11. =E= macrumors regular

=E=

I'm in Sweden so .. would be hard :p

12. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

$50 is not overpriced for a working 800MHz iMac G4 - at least in my neck of the woods.

13. RedCroissant Suspended

For the most part here, people don't automatically think the Apple logo means "money." The problem I run into on CL is that people that have no idea what they actually have because they're either the: auction winner at an estate sale, a thief, pawn shop owner, or not the original owner that they think they stumbled into a gold mine.

No kidding, someone here was selling a pair of PM G4s for $1000. SO I was curious to know what was so awesome about these machines and the guy told me that he wasn't the original owner and had no idea but that they were the Apple "power towers." I had to talk him through finding the model number and then I found out that they were PM G4 digital audio machines (466 and 533) with no RAM and no HDD. Apparently, they were worried about their personal information. So of course I passed on that deal.

14. repentix macrumors regular

Here in germany they hopelessly overprice every mac I check my local craigslist everyday for macs and ipods I rarely find something apple for a good price. For example one guy wanted 250€ For a 15inch imac g4! I would pay that kind of pricind for an imac from 2007. What they also really like to overprice is ipods they charge about 80-110€ for an ipod video not even ipod classic or 70€ for a n ipod nano 8gb 3 gen without box! The thing people here in germany really like to do is sell "defective" apple products get money out of that broken piece of apple hardware. They charge 180 for a defective macbook about 300 for a defective macbook air etc. The meanest thing is that they sell these things described as "for crafty people" like you can repair a defective macbook without ram hdd without knowing if the motherboard is fried?! I hope this will change in the coming years but I think that the germans will stay penny pinchers forever. :(

15. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Yeah, thats how I get most of my machine are through people who know nothing about them. Most either over price them or mislabel them and/or underprice them. Someone on the local CL has a "G5 tower" with an Intel Xeon processor. :rolleyes: Yeah, pretty sure thats a Mac Pro. Someone got the cheese graters confused.