Loving this naked feeling...but scared

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mindbender14, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Mindbender14 macrumors regular

I had all intentions of buying a case for my iPhone 7. I had the magpul field case on my 6 for two years and have dropped my phone twice. It was fine.

But then I got the iphone 7 in all its matte black goodness and I would hate to cover it up! Never thought I'd like going naked but I am considering it. It is slippery in hand and in pocket. Are there any skin like options to help with the grip on the side of the phone? Don't want a skin to cover the back.

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I went naked for 2 years with the 6+. It is completely scratched and beat to hell after 2 years but still works fine and screen not shattered. I decided to throw a case on the 7.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Skip the skin and learn to handle it naked. It's actually an acquired skill and after a while, you get used to holding it more securely without much thought. When I first got the original iPhone back in 2007, it simply flew out of my hands a couple of times rocking it naked. Since then I've dropped my iPhones only once, and that was actually an accident stepping out of the car.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

5. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's Space Gray. The white balance is off in that photo.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Correct. Caught it in the wrong light with my iPad.

It's Space Gray.

8. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Cases ruin the device. If you're afraid of screen cracking, surely the new reduced fee should help with AppleCare?

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Speaking of which, I'm shocked that you got the Space Gray given your incessant complaint that it's not a black iPhone :D

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I've used a case with my iPhone ever since the iPhone 4. They all just feel too slippery to me.

11. eyoungren, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No…my complaint is about other people calling Space Gray black. It's like saying your car is black because it has black tires. :)

I do not like Space Gray and I do not like the 6 series. I ended up with a 6s+ due to circumstance last year and while Space Gray is NOT black it's the closest I can get to it. I like the other colors even less.

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I used the 3G and the 4s naked and never had a problem. Since then, I've used cases on my 5s and 6s+...but I'm starting to question that.

It's kind of funny isn't? We spend $30-40 (ish) to intentionally make our phones bigger and more clunky, mostly so we can avoid "scratching it". And in the end, a good majority of folks just trade it right back into the carriers or a resale service, and those entities don't care about scratches on the back. In my opinion, who cares if you get a small scratch on the back of your phone? Will it stop you from typing your next message, checking facebook, or playing a game? I'm just as guilty as anyone since I've used a case for the last 3 years...but it kind of seems silly to me now.

Our iPhones are not idols or pieces of jewelry. They are disposable tools that we get rid of every 1-3 years...

13. Ezra923 macrumors regular

I actually use a case to make it bulkier and less slippery. To me, it's uncomfortable to hold without the added bulk i need more mass lol

14. ajiuo macrumors 65816

One thing the jet black I phone has going for it is that it is not slippery.