Low battery life on macbook pro 13" base model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markus843, Sep 4, 2012.

1. markus843 macrumors regular

I just got the cheapest model of the macbook pro, and I am getting about a 3-4 hour battery life. I heard a few people say that it's normal, but all I was doing was watching videos on the internet. Is this because I might have too much background processes running? I downloaded that coconutBattery thing, here are my results-
    Current Capacity - 5652 mAh
    Design Capacity - 5770 mAh
    [________98%_________] (it shows a bar and it says 98%)
    Mac model - MacBookPro9,2
    Age of your mac - 3 weeks
    battery loadcycles - 20
    Battery Temperature - 30.5*C
    Battery power usage - 7.3 Watts

Any help is appreciated.
    MacBook Pro 2012, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1),

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life, and Flash on websites is notorious for draining system resources and shortening battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

3. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

If those videos were flash based I wouldn't be surprised at all. Flash is a major resource hog.

4. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

If you are getting 3-4 then that's good.

Also every now and then, let the battery run out. 0% When it shuts down, plug the cord up to it. Then let it stay there for about 12-24hrs. Then unplug it. You can use it while its in the plug during those 24hrs.

I would worry when you have a low cycle count and it doesn't keep a charge past 0-1hr. That's what happened to my battery. I was getting 7hrs for a month or two, then it went down to 3-4hrs, and then finally even when shut off the battery didn't last 2hrs.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

That's definitely normal. It's not an "all I was doing" matter like you seem to think.

6. BigMoo macrumors member

It can also be a huge factor what levels you have your brightness as well as if you have your keyboard back light on.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no need to ever let the battery fully deplete. Doing so intentionally is putting cycles on your battery needlessly.

8. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

videos drain battery, so if ur getting 3-4 hours doing that then great, lay of the videos adjust your brightness and just browse you will probably get 5 hours or more

9. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Yes it does... so that you can re-calibrate your battery. It doesn't put cycles on your battery needlessly. Sorry I disagree. For one, your battery will cycle regardless. So if you let it drain, it's fine.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, simply draining and recharging a battery is not calibration. Neither is the procedure you described. Read the Battery FAQ I posted earlier to learn the proper steps for calibration.

Second, the built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

11. macrominnie macrumors member

+1
    GGJ, the battery FAQ is appreciated.

Keeping the MBP cool helps prolong battery life, as does avoiding undercharging and overcharging.

This links to a very simple article describing some factors (not specific to the MBP-GGJ has described the specifics of MBP calibration)

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2009/10/how_to_charge_your_laptop.single.html

"The main stresses include undercharging, overcharging, and...heat. Temperatures inside a laptop can reach more than 110 degrees Fahrenheit, which is hell for a battery."

----------

+1
    Turning off Airport and Bluetooth when not needed will also reducing the draining of battery charge.

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1446

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That article, written in 2009, was quite generic and doesn't apply to Mac notebook batteries. Specific points that don't apply:
    Mac batteries stop charging when they're fully charged. They cannot overcharge, so it's not harmful to leave it on AC power after it's fully charged, as long as you run on battery power regularly.
    This also isn't applicable to Mac batteries. There is no disadvantage to charging while operating. It is not necessary to turn off your Mac notebook when charging.
    As already discussed, simply draining and recharging a Mac is not calibration, and newer Mac notebooks with built-in batteries do not require calibration.

It's better to get battery information directly from Apple, rather than generic sources like technology articles or sites like batteryuniversity.com. Apple knows best how to care for the specific battery and charging technology employed in its notebooks.