Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshi3joshi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
when i have my ipod touch on the lowest, or close to low brightness setting, i notice that my screen flickers when i tap the screen. is there a reason for this, like is it a hardware defect or can it be fixed by firmware update? i think i read something about a flicker before, but didnt catch it carefully. i also dont want to update to 1.1.1 because of reports that their touches dont have the same good quality screen and that there are no more "true" blacks. by the way, i have a week 38. any ideas?

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
when i have my ipod touch on the lowest, or close to low brightness setting, i notice that my screen flickers when i tap the screen. is there a reason for this, like is it a hardware defect or can it be fixed by firmware update? i think i read something about a flicker before, but didnt catch it carefully. i also dont want to update to 1.1.1 because of reports that their touches dont have the same good quality screen and that there are no more "true" blacks. by the way, i have a week 38. any ideas?

I have the same issue. I assume it's normal. Maybe when you put your finger on the screen it zaps some power, and since the screen is already using not very much it takes a bit from the light used on the screen and gives that effect until it gets more power from the battery - which may not be instant? No idea.

Ratty

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Hampshire, UK

I've updated my week 38 Touch to 1.1.1 with no problems.

:)

joshi3joshi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I've updated my week 38 Touch to 1.1.1 with no problems.

:)

when you say you have no problems, have you done checks to see if the blacks are stil true blacks nd that the contrast hasnt be raised a little? also, does this mean that 1.1.1 provides the fix for screen flicker problems?

Vigilante

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2007
Florida.
I have no flicker problems, ever, that isn't normal. Does anyone know what the contrast ratio is for the iPod Touch screen?

AngeredTree

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
Boston, MA
Same Thing

I've got the same thing, week 38 ipod...

it flickers when you have it on the lowest brightness setting ONLY. It got annoying so I made it just a tiny bit brighter and it disappeared.

Football1maniac

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Just noticed it today. When Auto-Brightness is on, the screen flickers at the lowest brightness setting. I have 1.1.1 software on mine and it's a week 37. Any ideas? My screen qualify is okay, but I think, from what I hears, is that week 40 models have great screen quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.