Low buzzing noise on new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by webworks415, Dec 20, 2008.

1. webworks415 macrumors 6502

So i have had my new Mac Book Pro (late 08) for about 8 days now and just yesterday I noticed a very low buzzing noise that I never remember hearing before. It doesn't appear to be coming from the HD or battery area but higher above it. Should I be worried about this? The whole week ive been using the computer it has been super quiet and I just left it off and unplugged for a few hours and noticed this when I turned it back on. Its always happening now and I would like to know if its a normal thing, but its kind of annoying because it just now started (or I just now noticed it).

Other than that I love this thing and it hasnt been acting up for me at all.

thanks in advance for your replies

2. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I've got the same thing. I have the luxury of having 2 units here right now. They both have the hum but one is definitely louder than the other.

Assuming we're talking abo the same thing, mine is more a hum than a buzz.

I can only notice it loud when I put my ear up near the screen by the F keys. Under normal use/room noise w/o concentrating on it its not noticeable.

3. archimonde macrumors newbie

ya, i believe it is the hard drive as well, and mine was completely quiet until a month of usage and after one night when I left my computer on for cpu-heavy rendering. For me, when I press on the right bottom side, the sound goes away... so i am assumming it is the hard drive.

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

It'll be the hard drive. Mine made the noise with the stock 320GB 5,400rpm drive in, and my new 7,200rpm has made it a little more noticeable - but hey, that's the price for faster read/write speeds.

5. semitry macrumors member

Can't be the hard drive because my Macbook Pro has an SSD drive and I just recently heard the humming. I think it's the fan myself.

And my noise is a buzzing.

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Not all HDDs make noise. Mine does not buzz at all.