Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
I updated my iPhone 6S to iOS 10 and as always I immediately reset all settings and configure it from scratch.

However I've noticed that the call volume and the speaker volume is way lower than with iOS 9 - and I have it set up to max volume. I compared it to my father's 6s, which is still on the latest iOS 9, and the difference is quite noticeable.

Has anyone else experienced this issue since updating your 6S to iOS 10????

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
So am I the only one experiencing this issue on my 6S with iOS 10????????

1stalban

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
So am I the only one experiencing this issue on my 6S with iOS 10????????

You're not the only one. I'm having a difficult time hearing anyone when I'm on the phone. At first I thought I had it on speaker but it's the volume somehow. I've checked settings, reset, etc. and no resolution.

Reactions: magicMac

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
I'm going to contact Apple support tomorrow and see what they have to say about this issue. Hopefully it will be addressed in the next OTA update.

1stalban

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
That's probably a good idea. Apparently we're the only ones experience the issue.

I was looking at various settings in the phone and went to "General"-"Accessibility"-"Phone Noise Cancellation" and slid the selector to turn that off. I don't have a way to call myself but will see tomorrow at work if that helps at all.

Reactions: HickDead

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sometimes I notice that calls sound a bit quieter than usual and basically just trying to increase the volume even by one bar right away gets them back to an expected louder setting.

Last edited:

1stalban

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Sometimes I notice that calls sound a bit quite than usual and basically just trying to increase the volume even by one bar right away gets them back to an expected louder setting.
Ordinarily, that helps but in this case, it does nothing.
Also, the "fix" I was hoping for as described above had no affect either, so still trying to figure out the problem.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Contacted Apple tech support and got a real unhelpful, miserable, clueless ****** who just said to restore the phone. Asked him if he's heard about this problem and said no. Did not want to further investigate the issue or send him diagnostics report (which is what they usually do) and didn't even offer to escalate to engineering.

What a waste of time!

Reactions: shankara7

starikarp

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2013
You're not the only one. I'm having a difficult time hearing anyone when I'm on the phone. At first I thought I had it on speaker but it's the volume somehow. I've checked settings, reset, etc. and no resolution.

I have the same problem on my 6s.
Thank you, Apple.

1stalban

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Nothing I've done to try and remedy the situation has helped. I can only guess at this point that some of us are just the unlucky ones.
Incidentally, it isn't only this that doesn't work for me. The Find My Car doesn't work nor does the Bedtime feature. I've read all the solutions elsewhere and they simply don't work.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Guys I suggest you contact Apple and make them aware of these issues. The more reports they gather, the more likely that it will be addressed by engineering in a future software release.

Typical of Apple of late: 1 step forward, 4 steps back. Steve Jobs would have never put up with this piss-poor QC.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I've read in other posts about the low Volume difficulty. I have endured that same problem with an iPad Mini-R since the day I bought it new and it still sucks, despite upgrading iOS at each release. Volume is always turned to high but can barely hear sounds. Took it to the Apple store early on and they didn't seem to think it was a problem. If I update the iPad to iOS 10, I'm seriously worried about not being able to hear it at all. Waiting for the "fix" release to see if this Volume concern is addressed along with the other ones that are being discovered.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Steve Jobs would have never put up with this piss-poor QC.

The same Steve Jobs who held a press conference to tell you that users of a phone with a (mildly) poor antenna were "holding it wrong" wouldn't put up with poor qc? Invoking the ghost of a long dead man who put out of many questionable products as some kind of infallible deity makes it impossible to take you seriously.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Spoke with a high level Apple Tech rep and she confirmed that engineering is aware of this issue and it's on the list to be fixed in a future software release.

mdipalo

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
I've the same problem ... I've also read another post https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/53876 where they experienced the problem in beta version. and no one has solved it.... Iphone is first of all a phone..I can hear well voice calls only through headset..otherwise is very low. How can I report this to Apple? Through site, through email?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

audirs5

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
yup, same **** here.. Wonder how long the list is, because i doubt they will be fixing anything anytime soon. Not like apple to address concerns we have.

Reactions: Daniel80

brat96

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2016
I updated my iPhone 6S to iOS 10 and as always I immediately reset all settings and configure it from scratch.

However I've noticed that the call volume and the speaker volume is way lower than with iOS 9 - and I have it set up to max volume. I compared it to my father's 6s, which is still on the latest iOS 9, and the difference is quite noticeable.

I have with mine

icewolf247

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
I had a phonecall on my iPhone 7 plus yesterday and noticed the volume was low and I had a really hard time hearing the person even with full volume

Using speakerphone was slightly better. I thought it was just that phone call but am now wondering

Sbsbx100

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016

[doublepost=1475051876][/doublepost]You ar definitely not alone. Immediately after install my call volume dropped to a level that makes it near impossible to use without switching to headphones or speaker. Serious problem!

Reactions: Microkathir

planetf1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
Hampshire, UK
Yes.... In fact I got a 7 (loud) and my son bought my 6s off me. He took it b to the apple store last night who agreed it was too quiet and are replacing the screen and microphone assembly today... So will be interesting to see if it's better..

When it originally occurred I thought it was sw....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.