low charged battery problem on macbook pro 17

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prphry, Jun 22, 2009.

1. prphry macrumors newbie

heya

i have a new 17 inch MBP - the 2.66 (ok, not new, bought it 3 weeks before the new, new ones were released) - the 'breakthrough' battery is fully charged... but when i look at the time remaining, it is not 8 hours - more like 6... any ideas ?

do i need to run it down to zero and re charge ?

i understand these batteries are non removable, so i'm pretty sure the battery is the newest one available - mentioning this as it was bought on ebay (and yes, it was brand new)

thanks -> P

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Did you calibrate it, and what are you running when it tells you that you have 6 hours left? Obviously battery life depends on how much power your machine is using at any given time...

3. prphry thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm usually running indesign and photoshop and safari ? sometimes i run illustrator and acrobat too ?

i havent calibrated the battery - will do so now and see if that makes a difference

cheers -> P

4. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

See, the 8 hours theory is for running word processing, surfing the net wirelessly, and the brightness set to half of full brightness. So doing anything more than that won't give you the 8 hours.