low clicking sound after mac pro warms?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Gokce, May 15, 2007.

1. Gokce macrumors newbie

hi,

when I start my mac pro, after a certain time passes there is a very low pitc clicking noise starts. It could not be heard if the ambient noise is loud, only when it is silent in the room. I opened the case, it comes from top of the hard disk bay under the dvd drive bay. I switched the har disk to another bay to see if it comes from the hard disk but no, its not the hard disk..

its not the front big fan unit as well .. Any idea where else I should check ? Does anybody have same kind of noise ?

tks / Gokce

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Is it a different noise than is made when when the hard disk writes?

It's possible the hard drive is on the way out. You should back up immediately if you have not already.

Also, use Disk Utility to verify your disk. Check the SMART status isn't Failing.

Maybe your drive just likes to make clicky sounds... but be cautious :)

3. Gokce thread starter macrumors newbie

its not a sound when hardisk writes, its very low pitch clicking. I thought maybe when the temp rises after a while and the fans speeds up and makes this noise but its not the fans.. and its not coming from the hardisk. I put the hard disk to another bay and the sound was coming from the same place as it was.

4. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Maybe it's the DVD drive, power supply or power circuit board.

Is your Mac working properly? If so, don't worry about it. No offense, but I think sometimes people obsess about something that isn't a problem. Get a pair of external speakers and play a song on iTunes and you won't hear it.

5. DATElliott macrumors newbie

Having Same "Problem"

I'm having the same issue with my MacBook Pro. It only occurs, however, when I move the device and it even will happen when the device is in sleep mode and is moved. The device is 6 months old, but never been dropped or otherwise banged up…and the sounds started months after I first received it. Very strange…and certainly abnormal.