Low cost Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by photochimper, Feb 2, 2008.

1. photochimper macrumors newbie

Whats the best low cost mac to get? I would want to use it for photo editing.

2. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

If you have a display and keyboard lying around then I would suggest getting the high-end Mac mini. If you don't then i would suggest the 2.0GHz iMac, its fast enough, it has a lot of hard drive space and it has a beautiful 20 inch glossy screen that make photos look amazing.

3. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I would second the suggestion above. If you want portability then you can also look at the macBook - remember the refurb shop is your friend if you are looking to save a few bucks.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I second the mini and refurbished mac suggestions. Then go to a place like newegg.com to order 2 gigs of ram.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

6. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Refurbished white 20" iMac. That's what I just ordered to save money and to get a better quality LCD panel than the current (aluminum) 20" uses.

Greg

7. pscoble macrumors 6502

Heh I would say the old 20" is better quality having used both I prefer the glossy greatly is sharp, crisp, and vibrant, much more so then the old one. Unless you need more exact colors for editing the aluminum screen is amazing.

8. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

I have a hard to recommending the Mac Mini to anyone. I think you pay too much for what you get. What kind of Photo Editing Software will you be using? If you're planning on using CS3, an iMac G5 may be a good solution. If not, try a refurbished 17" Intel iMac.

9. kabunaru Guest

A Mac mini with a display will be fine for you. :)

10. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

11. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

For the absolute lowest cost, that would be the Mac Mini. If you have an existing display it is the cheapest way to go.

If you have to start purchasing a keyboard, monitor, and mouse, then you are getting closer to the $1,099 macbook. Probably not as much, but pretty close.

You are also getting close to the cost for the Refurb iMac's. Remember that the refurb products come with the same Apple warranty as the new ones. For all practical purposes, they are as good as new.

All of the current machines run Leopard and come with iLife (which includes iPhoto) for basic photo editing.

If you are just getting started, and don't have much cash, the Mini is a good way to go. If you can afford a little more, then get a MacBook, or an iMac (new or refurb).

12. supercooled macrumors 6502a

For what you pay new to Apple, you could get a killer machine in the used market. I would not discount the classified just to see what's out there.

13. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

I've never ordered any refurbished product without getting a silent upgrade. Considering they're cheaper, and in brand-new condition- I'd say they're better then new.

My last purchase:

Refurb 17" MBP
    Paid: 2600

I got 4GB Apple Ram, 250GB HDD, Ultra-High Res and a glossy display- Thats about $4000 new.

You know what they say, one you go refurb... you'll never go back

14. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

20" refurb white imac. Cheaper and comes with a way better LCD than the 20" aluminum imac.

15. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

Cheaper? Yes. Better display? Not in a million years.

16. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

You couldnt be more wrong. The white 20" imacs come with an S-IPS display, the same kind used in the 20" ACD. The new aluminum 20" imacs have a TN display, only found in the lowest end budget LCD's and completely not suitable for photo editing. S-IPS blows any TN lcd out of the water in terms of image quality, there are no exceptions since that would defy the laws of science. Ive used both, and the LCD in the white imac is just insanely better.