Low CPU utilization on FCP X export

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by avemestr, Sep 30, 2012.

1. avemestr macrumors regular

I'm trying to "Share" a video on youtube. It's a 1080 25fps.

Currently, the Share Monitor says it's: "Processing: Transcoding", so this is not related to upload speed.

If I do a simple "Export to Quicktime", the video is done in less than 5 minutes. After one hour in "Share Monitor" it's about 70% done.

The CPU seems under-utilized, as shown in the stats from iStat Menus:

*) Temps are fine.
    *) Fans are running slow (I never manually touch fan speeds)
    *) compressord and FCP are only using less than half the processor.
    *) The CPU+FSB use less than 70W, but the W3520 have a TDP of 130W...

Any tricks from the pros on how to get compressord to actually use the resources available?

Or is it "just" because when I do the "Export to Quicktime" the video is about 12GB in size, whereas the YouTube is only 1.8GB? So it's two entirely different tasks?

(Previously, when doing videos for youtube, I normally do the "export to quicktime" and then let Handbrake do the compression, but with this social stuff catching on, I thought I'd try to use the built-in function)

[​IMG]

2. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

Look in Compressor and Qmaster manuals to create a local cluster. Basically in System Preferences/Apple Qmaster, you go to "options for selected services" and set a number of instances in function of your processor (threads) and start sharing. Then in Compressor when you submit a batch you choose the local cluster (and not "this computer").

Note that with this technique Compressor needs to prepare the rendering job by segmenting the files and copying media into /var/spool/qmaster. This can sometimes take a while on longer projects, and can crash too. You can also try different numbers of instances in the Qmaster preferences.