Low earpiece volume ip6 on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maverick22, Sep 20, 2014.

1. maverick22, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

maverick22 macrumors 6502

Anyone else's AT&T (or any carrier I guess) 6 have low earpiece (when you hold the phone to your ear) volume? It's okay at home, but driving down the highway especially, the person you're talking to comes in extremely low.

The earpiece volume is definitely lower than my 5.

Wonder if this is a defect or Apple just made them this way this time around. I never had any trouble with my 5 hearing someone even on the highway.

6 i supposed to have better battery?? Right now I'm losing a percent for almost anything I do (text, checking a site, tweets, etc). Worse than my 5 as well!

Loving everything else about it though!

2. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

My battery is fine, but my earpiece does seem softer than on my old 5. I have the volume all the way up and it is still not very loud comparatively. I love the phone otherwise though.

3. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Surprised more people aren't talking about this. Like I said, at home it's okay. It's very hard to hear the person you're talking to while in the car though.

4. 17MBPC2D macrumors regular

My wife had complained about the same....will exchange for another unit and we'll see if it fairs better

5. exodiusprime macrumors regular

exodiusprime

My 6+ seems lower than my 5. Even when using headphones, it just seems quieter.

6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yep, I noticed this. The earpiece definitely seems quieter. I was somewhat disappointed by this as Apple had made improvement in that regards over the generations, and now we took a step back.

7. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thought the same thing! I remember the 3 I guess it was called was pretty quiet. I had a loud sports car as well at the time & had to return the Iphone. I believe the 4 was much better than the 3, and I can't remember the difference between 4 & 5.

I know the 6 is noticeably more quiet than the 5 though :(

I hope this is something that can be fixed in an update.

8. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

Does anybody else notice static on the line as well? Maybe it is just me but I swear there seems to be a less clear connection in addition to the volume. I still otherwise love the phone, but definitely preferred the sound on my 5.

9. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I've only had 1 call on my 6+ so far, but the volume was extremely low, I could barely hear the person at all (Verizon) with volume at max. Hoping it's not a defect, I would really hate to have to return it, but that call was unacceptable (while being the smallest sample size of course).

10. dmx macrumors 6502a

I don't think this is a carrier issue... I'm on Sprint and the same problem. Even listening to voicemails is very difficult on my 6 Plus, my 5 was far far louder....

11. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

At least we can probably rule out defect since so many of us have noticed it.

Some were praising the speaker phone, but I don't find it that great either.

I think both speakers (earpiece and speaker) are clearer. It's almost like Apple chose components and limited volume for clarity rather than loudness?

However, in a noisy situation, you need loud out of the earpiece even if you lose some quality.

12. Billymac19 macrumors regular

Billymac19

honestly i almost feel they are using the same earpiece and speaker as the 5s or something

13. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem as well with my 6 Plus. My 5s was much louder. I find my self using speaker phone all the time now because it can hear it.

I'm hoping its a software bug.

14. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Agree!

Not sure about the 5s. Volume is definitely lower than the 5 (and 4 even).

15. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

16. Cableguy1973 macrumors newbie

Softer and in my opinion harder to hear on my Bluetooth

17. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I was hoping the new update would have fixed the volume. The earpiece volume is still the same though. Still very difficult to hear while in the car.

I've searched online, and I can't remember the other forum's name, but many people had the same complaint. Hope this can be fixed in an update.

A good alternative would be use bluetooth speaker in the car, but that's not working properly. The call starts off, then disconnects from my car's speakers, and the call ends up on my phone. Frustrating!

18. *KID* macrumors regular

I have this on my 6+ Sprint... I need to do more testing but the calls I've had are definitely much softer than my 4S was. I hope it can be fixed by something other than an exchange... I don't want to exchange one problem for another.

19. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Same here. I can live with it inside my home, quiet areas, but the car is a different story. This could be solved if Bluetooth gets working properly.

Wonder why Apple didn't test this better. Those testers must have amazing hearing!

20. SimonFi macrumors newbie

Same here, is this a hardware issue?
    Pretty much unusable outside of the office... And even there I can only use the phone if no one is talking in the background...

(iPhone 6, 64GB, space grey, t-mobile US)

21. Spiedermensch macrumors newbie

Solution for most i hope

My father has been experiencing this issue since he received his phone last week.

Because My Father hasn't received his new 6 plus case yet, he was keeping the plastic protectors the unit was shipped with on.

I saw this solution in an apple forum.

We just tested it after removing the plastic and the sound is PERFECT!:cool:

Im glad for us at least it wasn't a hardware issue I'm on the wait list for mine and was dreading this issue.