Low end 21" ok for me?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by xxvertigenxx, Sep 1, 2011.

1. xxvertigenxx macrumors newbie

I know you're sick of these questions. I have searched, but just looking for some possible experiences from people that have the low end 21 inch.

I already own 8gb of RAM to upgrade it to 12 total.

The things I use my computer for are: Email, web, iTunes, Outputting video to my TV (MDP to HDMI), studying/writing papers/researching, occasional video encode, streaming video encoded on the fly with Air Video and the occasional photo doctoring (nothing crazy, just touching up random photos in preview or pixelator).

I realize it will probably do most of these tasks just fine. I am worried a little about the video encoding on the fly, but that's about it.

I plan on keeping this for about 4 years or until I finish college.

Thank you for any help or advice in advance.

2. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

3. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

Ok.

For WHAT YOUR DESCRIBING, the 21 inch is good.

If you plan on playing ANY games, WoW, steam games ETC, than NO go for the higher end model.

But if your doing JUST what you say your doing, the machine will be perfect.

4. xxvertigenxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to both of you. I don't play games at all, so it sounds like I should be good.

5. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Considering going down to the 21.5 myself. I just don't power use like I used to, and I just need something to study and write papers on.

6. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

I have a 21.5" iMac and it does the tasks you want to do. Doesn't take much power for file/print/email/surfing type tasks. I bought the 21.5" because of the physical size of the desk hutch. Little did I know (before ordering), the iMac doesn't sit at the back of the desk. It sits in the middle - where its glass area isn't physically restructure (by the hutch). re: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/Spike99-Pictures/New iMac system/After-0.jpg

Next time around (and knowing what I know today), I'd get a 27" iMac instead. Yes. The 21.5" does me fine. But with larger screen, I can still increase font sizes (for ease of reading text) and put 2 x documents (screens) side by side. With 2 x documents side by side on 21.5", its does seem small. If you can, go with the 27" and remember, one doesn't need to always use 100% of the physical screen all the time. A window size can be sized to one's comfort size.

Hope this helps...

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

in your sig it appears you got the 27" how are you liking it?

8. RayK macrumors 6502

The 21" with 12 gb ram would work great for your uses. No worries.

9. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Oh yeah, I LOVE it. But like I said, I am thinking about downgrading because I don't *need* this much. There is nothing I do on the computer that I couldn't really just do on an iPad these days. The most intensive thing is writing school papers and such (which would be tedious on iPad) and using it as a HTPC.

So yeah, I don't need the power or screen space, but I don't like laptops. The low end 21 sounds perfect for me.

10. xTRIGGER092x macrumors regular

I disagree on that; I've got the baseline 2010 iMac with only 256MB of VRAM and it does fine for the few games I play. It runs Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 2, Portal, Portal 2, and Team Fortress 2 at High settings very smoothly for the most part.

11. Mac User55 macrumors newbie

for the things you want to use it for it will be perfect for you.
    unless you want to play games it would not be good for them.

12. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I have the base 21.5" and with 12 gb of ram you should have no problems with your current tasks. It should also last you several years.