Low-End iMac a good purchase?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DDar, Aug 21, 2008.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

Hey guys, as some of you may know, my PC died a few weeks ago. Anyways, I thought this would be a good time to switch my family to Mac, especially since I'm leaving for college next year so if something bad went down my mom could always just call apple and get it replaced or repaired. :)

Anyways, my mom doesn't have alot of money, and here our Office Depo is offering a payment plan that spans over a year. All they have is the low-end 20'', and I'm sure my family could survive off it (see, despite having the lowest specs, it still runs circles around ou old PC :p), and it'd run photoshop competently enough to allow me to wait for my MBP, right?

So yeah, I basically wanted to know you guys's thoughts on the low-end 20'' iMac. It's a good buy, right?

2. 204467 macrumors 6502a

The low-end iMac should be perfect for basic computing needs, it would probably be okay for even more advanced tasks, if you're going to do them. I say get it, it will last for quite a few years and your family will be very happy with it.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

4. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

The base model iMac is a lot of computing power. I would go as far as saying it's more powerful than the "middle" MacBook model.

I would strongly suggest that you buy AppleCare, especially if you want your mother to be able to call Apple past the initial 90 days phone support.

5. Expired macrumors newbie

The base iMac is a very capable machine. The 2.4GHz processor includes 6MB of L2 cache and 1066MHz FSB just like the rest of the line. The only main differences are the 1GB of RAM (which can be easily upgraded), and the lower spec graphics card.

6. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

My dad got a low end iMac with 1/2 gig of RAM three years ago (2005) and it totally outclasses, in every way, the Dual G4 Power Mac with a gig of RAM I have from 2001.

Of course, a lot happens in just four years, but I imagine that a low end iMac of today is awesome. I also believe the low end Macbook is a great machine, too. Only some heavy duty gamers I have heard of have only considered the highest end Macbook Pro 17" or Mac Pro, both maxed with RAM, and nothing else and I guess that is understandable.

But graphics pros I know can do work with a 15" inch Macbook Pro or a maxed out larger screen iMac with no problem.

7. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

I have LAST generation's low-end iMac model, and I play games, photoshop and even do some video editing on this machine.

It's a great machine and it will be perfect for you and your family!

Enjoy the iMac :)

8. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I have the previous imac base model (basically the same but with 2.0 Ghz, etc) and it's been a solid performer despite a quirky issue while using external speakers that seems to be affecting a lot of apple's products right now. Anyway, it can do most things very well, but if you're looking for a system to use for gaming, I would look into the high end 20". Not to say the HD2400XT isn't capable, but it certainly leaves a lot to be desired (I can't even play 4 year old games at full settings).

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

One of the great things about them being on a mac and you being on a mac (if your on a mac) is you can use screen sharing to fix thier problems. I do it all the time. I just bought my parents a mac and it was their first time touching one so all I did was open iChat, they opened iChat, I clicked "share screen" they click "yes" and I had full control of the computer and im halfway around the world from them. I set up user accounts, showed them how to put their pictures on the computer (yes they're that bad), where to find google, etc.

Not to mention the "low end" is a lot more powerful then what most people have at the moment.

10. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

What game are you talking about buddyguyman?

11. paduck macrumors 6502

I'm a big fan of the lower end of the iMac line. The bottom two models are really excellent in the price performance range. You might even be able to get a 12 months or 90 days same as cash deal from either Best Buy or Apple (or Office Depot).

The $300 difference in the lower end iMac basically gets you a speed bump, faster graphics, more memory and more HD space. You could add the memory yourself via 3rd party RAM if you went with the bottom level. With a college discount, your out the door price on the iMac is going to be $1200.

The other great thing about the lower end models is that you can replace them every three or four years to get a new warranty and all the latest bells and whistles and still end up paying considerably less than if you bought just one top of the line model.

Remember to set aside money for software though. That costs a bit sometimes.

Good luck!

12. LowEnder macrumors member

Buy it!

it's a great machine! Buy it, get AppleCare! breathe a big sigh of relief!

13. 204467 macrumors 6502a

That is some of the best logic I've ever heard. Most people just say buy the top of the line and automatically assume the OP can afford it or even wants something that expensive. I commend your cool-headedness and lack of telling people to get the best just so they can say they have the best.