Low-end Macbook Pro, buy now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by colourfulclock, Nov 6, 2009.

  1. colourfulclock macrumors member

    colourfulclock

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #1
    Hi,

    I want to buy a low-end Macbook Pro on the Black Friday sales in a few weeks, but with rumors of upgrades I'm unsure.

    It sounds like the low-end Pro wont really get much of an upgrade? I mean what can they do except a minor processor bump?

    What do you think the upgrades might be?

    Thanks!
     
  2. Eric S. macrumors 68040

    Eric S.

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Location:
    Santa Cruz Mountains, California
    #2
    Speculation is that the high-end MBPs will probably see the upgrade to Nehalem/Westmere and the low-end MBP will stay with Penryn. But being that we're talking about Apple, nobody really knows. At least whoever knows isn't talking.
     
  3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #3
    I would say wait it out. People that say only the high end MBPs will be updated are only thinking about the 6,1 and 6,2 kext files. Apple has never updated a high-end MBP and not the low-end of the same size display MBP. Apple has updated 15.4" and 17" MBPs at different times. I definitely believe ALL MBPs will be updated at the same time, as the 17" unibody introduction was introduced later because of a delay for larger unibody cases.

    I believe waiting for certain processors is one of a few major reasons to wait. My reasons to wait would be as follows:
    1. Form Factor (currently Unibody and will be for years) - No reason to wait here.
    2. CPU 45nm process (currently Penryn Core 2 Duo) - Real reason to wait here, as 32nm Arrandale CPUs are to be released on January 5, 2010. Everyone thought for certain this would be the CPU used in the next MBPs. However, since the iMac got a different CPU people are thinking high end MBPs will be different... I don't see that happening.
    3. Graphics - Real reason to wait. Chances are we will see a MUCH better graphics selection in the next MBPs. Probably switch to far less problematic ATI card.
    4. MAJOR tech update - We are currently waiting on USB 3, BluRay, OLED displays, faster SATA, and some would say light peek although most just say that due to the rumor here. The one worth waiting on is USB 3, but Intel is supposedly putting that off until 2011. So, forget waiting that long.

    I think Arrandale is a worthy reason to wait and also an upgrade of the graphics card.

    If you wanted any other Mac, I would say go ahead and buy it... but the MBP has a few big possibilities in its next upgrade which could happen anytime between Christmas and March. Probably closer to January 1st than anything.

    Good luck.
     
  4. colourfulclock thread starter macrumors member

    colourfulclock

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #4
    Lots of people are saying the graphics will be upgraded, but the iMacs were just updated and the low end model still has the same 9400M? Why would the iMacs remain the same and Macbooks get new graphics? :confused:

    Will the even be much of a difference between current core 2 duo and 'arrandale'? Apparently it will be mostly improved power consumption, not performance. I'm happy with the 7 hours they already have;)
     
  5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #5
    Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

    If you don't need it now, then wait. If you're desperate, then buy now.
     
  6. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2009
    #6
    to be quite honest i'd buy now if you want to... wait if you can though, although for the lower end mbps i dont think there will be much of an update to them [​IMG]
     
  7. Frosties macrumors 6502a

    Frosties

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2009
    Location:
    Sweden
    #7
    I disagree, because the arrandale is very low powered and have power management that shut down unnecessary power drains both in processor use and with shutting down the graphics core when going over to a second graphics card. It is just as likely to add a second graphics card in the 13". Those that say otherwise have not taken into account this and that arrandale shrinks the number of chips used. The ion+core2duo also add up in power use.
     
  8. SimonMW macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    #8
    ust ask yourself if the computer that is available now does what you need it to.

    If the answer is yes then buy it. If you kept waiting for the next best thing you'd never buy anything! Especially at the fast rate that Apple releases new updates.
     
  9. Eric S. macrumors 68040

    Eric S.

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Location:
    Santa Cruz Mountains, California
    #9
    Normally I would agree, but I think that Arrandale will be a significant advance over Penryn, and waiting a few months if you can will be justified.
     
  10. brendu macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #10
    i suspect the only upgrades we will see in the low end will be a 2.4ghz processor and at least 250GB HDD... just enough to set it slightly above the macbook.
     
  11. Eric S. macrumors 68040

    Eric S.

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Location:
    Santa Cruz Mountains, California
    #11
    You can already get 2.53GHz and 250GB (or higher) if you want it.
     
  12. psingh01 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    #12
    I don't expect to see new MBP until Feb/March. I'd buy now if I were you unless you want to wait 3-4 months to get a faster clock speed (maybe 2.8ghz?).
     
  13. SimonMW macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    #13
    Hmm, yes, if it was going to be so close in time then maybe. However the 13"MBP was only updated during this summer. I think Jan/Feb would be too soon for such a major update.
     
  14. Eric S. macrumors 68040

    Eric S.

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Location:
    Santa Cruz Mountains, California
    #14
    It's difficult to predict what Apple will do but historically MBPs have been updated twice a year, so the timeframe is actually just right. Intel should have released Arrandale by then as well. As I said earlier, speculation is that only the high-end MBPs will get them, at least at first, but nobody knows for sure.
     
  15. brendu macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #15
    yeah but im talking an upgrade to the base specs
     
  16. boston44 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 8, 2009
    #16
    If you buy now, you won't regret it. No one knows of the new specs and if it will just be a bump or something more, but you'll likely be waiting at least a few more months if not longer..
     
  17. greygray macrumors 68000

    greygray

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2009
    #17
    In a couple of months, new MBPs may be released. Till then, I suggest keeping a lookout as we're possibly seeing an upgrade soon. If you're desperate as Abstract has said, get one now.
     
  18. Schroedinger macrumors regular

    Schroedinger

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2004
    Location:
    Baltimore, MD
    #18
    Buy it now. Unless you are spending hours a day with your processors at 100% running at the limits of your GPU how much difference is a bump going to make? I understand waiting if a total redesign is expected, or if you're buying a top of the line machine for production, but if not go get it now. No matter what you do you're computer won't feel slow in six months or fast in five years.
     
  19. Puqq macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2009
    #19
    It is likely to be a minor/significant speed bump, without any design changes.

    The expected (optimistic) specifications are:
    -Arrandale processor (10-15% faster than current models, smaller power consumption, max battery life of 8-9hrs is a possibility)
    -New GPU, maybe discrete + integrated option even in 13" MBP
    -More HDD and RAM
    -Some minor changes in design (not likely)
    -Blu-ray (not likely and not useful yet)

    Last summer I decided that 9400m is too slow for me, so I did not buy MBP then and I am still waiting...
     
  20. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

    iPhysicist

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2009
    Location:
    Dresden
    #20
    CPU bumps of 10% arent even noticalbe, so there is no need for wating. Battery life wont raise to 8 or more hours because of the smaller gate size (This is meant by 32nm! Its the tiniest part of the Transistor! The other structures are bigger! And for improved Battery life - Energy leaks can best be avoided by a better layout than gate size - and the more transistors you use the more leaks you have - its tremendously complicated)

    And furthermore if you need a better GPU than the 9400 in a 13,3" MBP you realy are not in for a 13,3" screen, are you?

    Blue Ray wont come to the MBP unless its cheap enough because it should also BURN, not only read blue ray discs.

    @ Colourfulclock - If you need a that fits the need of people who like to work the common office stuff with it buy the low end MBP now. If you want to be creative with lots of CPU and GPU load then wait or buy a MacPro.

    Kind Regards Thomas
     
  21. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

    Parkin Pig

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2009
    Location:
    Yorkshire-by-Gum
    #21
    And if Arrandale doesn't arrive in the next upgrade, will you wait for the one after that?

    Look at the current specs, look at the currrent price, and if the combination make you happy right now, buy it and accept the fact that an improved version will probably be available within 6 months. :)

    Most of all - just enjoy what you buy. The biggest speed boost you can give your Mac is often optimising the way you use it.
     
  22. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #22
    If you truly need a new laptop now, then get one now. If you don't, then wait until you do.

    When you buy one, get the most capable one that you can afford.

    If you can buy one refurbed or used and save some cash, do so; just make sure you invest some of your savings into applecare before the deadline to do so expires. For me personally, going the refurb/used route takes some of the sting out of the inevitable upgrades as opposed to paying full MSRP.
     

Share This Page