Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
How low do you think it'll go? I was planning on picking up the higher-end model, but if I can get a good discount on the low-end I'll just upgrade the RAM and HD myself.

lilskaterpunk

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
I was thinking the same idea. It shouldn't be hard to change the HDD and Ram. U would just loose some Ghz but if the savings are good! :)

steveotron

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2009
That went quick. It wasn't even that great of a deal. I'm guessing there's little hope on snatching up the iMac that goes on sale latter today if they go that quickly.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
I couldn't get it either. Oh well. I was pissed at first, but then saw that it was only $65 off their regular price anyway. I'll just buy the 2.53ghz model now.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I was able to get one.:D

I got it for a total of $1,049, which is $150 off of the regular retail price plus the fact that Amazon doesn't charge tax (9.75% here in CA).

I didn't technically buy it during the Lightning Sale, but after I saw that it sold out in zero seconds (it literally went from "Sale starting in...." to "Sold Out" right away), I figured it couldn't hurt to call Amazon. So I called them, did some talking, and yadda yadda yadda, got the $1,049 price.

Currently, Amazon has the MBP on sale for $1,114. Yesterday it was on sale for $1,068. I am guessing that after the holidays, it will go back up to the regular $1,199 price.

Alternatively, I could have bought it at my school store for $1,049+tax=$1,151, which is what I was planning on doing.

Now I can use that extra $100 towards a RAM upgrade...... anyone have any suggestions of where to buy?

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
I was able to get one.:D

I got it for a total of $1,049, which is $150 off of the regular retail price plus the fact that Amazon doesn't charge tax (9.75% here in CA).

I didn't technically buy it during the Lightning Sale, but after I saw that it sold out in zero seconds (it literally went from "Sale starting in...." to "Sold Out" right away), I figured it couldn't hurt to call Amazon. So I called them, did some talking, and yadda yadda yadda, got the $1,049 price.

Currently, Amazon has the MBP on sale for $1,114. Yesterday it was on sale for $1,068. I am guessing that after the holidays, it will go back up to the regular $1,199 price.

Alternatively, I could have bought it at my school store for $1,049+tax=$1,151, which is what I was planning on doing.

Now I can use that extra $100 towards a RAM upgrade...... anyone have any suggestions of where to buy?

I always get my RAM from Crucial.com... never had any issues. Fair prices as well

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Newegg is nice.
Also, isn't that the usual price on MacMall, or am I missing something?

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Is $1,049 the usual price on MacMall? No, it's not.

Ah, I see.
At my local Fry's it's usually available for that price though.
On MacMall, it's 1068. You really shouldn't be scoffing about 20 bucks if you're spending this much on a computer. 100 bucks, I understand.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Ah, I see.
At my local Fry's it's usually available for that price though.
On MacMall, it's 1068. You really shouldn't be scoffing about 20 bucks if you're spending this much on a computer. 100 bucks, I understand.

$1,068 is not the usual price on MacMall. It's on sale right now, just like on every other major Apple re-seller's site.

Also, Fry's regular retail price for this MBP is $1,199.

There's this thing called Black Friday going on.....

Who's scoffing over 20 bucks?:confused:

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
$1,068 is not the usual price on MacMall. It's on sale right now, just like on every other major Apple re-seller's site.

Also, Fry's regular retail price for this MBP is $1,199.

There's this thing called Black Friday going on.....

Who's scoffing over 20 bucks?:confused:

What I mean is that people on Amazon were starting threads complaining that the deal ended in less than a minute, and they weren't able to get it.

Yessir, I do know it's Black Friday.

Also, last week, when I visited two local Frys' here in the Bay Area, both of them were selling it for $1079 with a free printer, and so and so forth.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
What I mean is that people on Amazon were starting threads complaining that the deal ended in less than a minute, and they weren't able to get it.

Yessir, I do know it's Black Friday.

Also, last week, when I visited two local Frys' here in the Bay Area, both of them were selling it for $1079 with a free printer, and so and so forth.

Actually, the deal ended in zero seconds. There wasn't even an opportunity to click "Add To Cart". I figure that they had 1 or 2 at that sale price for the whole world. That is why I called Amazon, spoke with a rep, and got that price anyway.

Fry's website lists that MBP at $1,199. I doubt that it was discounted to $1,079 on a regular day. Perhaps you misread the price? Also remember, that on top of the $1,079, you would have to pay sales tax. Here in CA that would be an additional $105.

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Actually, the deal ended in zero seconds. There wasn't even an opportunity to click "Add To Cart". I figure that they had 1 or 2 at that sale price for the whole world. That is why I called Amazon, spoke with a rep, and got that price anyway.

Fry's website lists that MBP at $1,199. I doubt that it was discounted to $1,079 on a regular day. Perhaps you misread the price? Also remember, that on top of the $1,079, you would have to pay sales tax. Here in CA that would be an additional $105.

Ah, good job on the deal again. :)

I'm positive I saw the deal for $1079. I even took off my glasses and rubbed them on my shirt to make sure. And yes, the sales tax is killer. :(

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
^^^^^ they were never out of stock on it. What the supervisor told me was that they had a limited number of units at that special price. That's why it sold out so fast- they probably had 3 at that price.

And it's on sale again. $1049!!!! Gonna purchase it.

That's awesome! I'm glad others are able to get this deal too.

No wonder they decided to give it to me for that price. When I was put on hold, the supervisor I was talking to must have been given the go-ahead to give me the $1,049 price because they knew they were going to offer it at that price come midnight.

pickups

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2009
I ordered one today with free shipping says it wont even ship till dec 2 then 5-9 days after that:( didnt see anything about 6.99 shipping. guess ill have a long wait.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I ordered one today with free shipping says it wont even ship till dec 2 then 5-9 days after that:( didnt see anything about 6.99 shipping. guess ill have a long wait.

I don't think there is $6.99 shipping. I think he meant that he paid $6.99 more than he was already paying for shipping to have Saturday delivery. I could be wrong though.........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.