Low end MB vs High end MB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by neifichicken, Oct 16, 2008.

1. neifichicken macrumors newbie

Obviously the high end one has its advantages:
    -90 GB more memory
    -Backlit keyboard (I believe low end MB doesn't have this, right?)
    -2.4 Ghz CPU vs 2.0

but it also comes at a price ($1499 vs $1250). What do you guys think is the better buy, both for value and long term. My usage involves light gaming (i.e. Spore and Puzzle Quest), streaming movies off Netflix, internet, Office programs, some stats programs, light video editing, music player, and nothing else really out of the ordinary.

I want this machine to last me at least two years, ideally 3, so what would you guys recommend? I'm also tempted to upgrade to 4 GB of RAM if I went with the lower end MB, but would hold off on it if I got the higher end MB

Are there more advantages than the 3 I listed? Are those even worth it?

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Get the 2GHz MacBook. It's more than fast enough for what you want to do. Don't bother with the extra RAM - neither Spore nor any of the other tasks you want to perform will really take advantage of it and if you really found you needed it then you could upgrade later when prices are lower.

The hard drive is also easily upgradable.

I got the 2GHz MacBook today and it is a great machine. I really don't understand why people are spending the extra money on the high end one because it isn't all that much better.

3. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Because I've always wanted a backlit keyboard. If the 2,0GHz model would've had it, I'd have ordered it. But alas, Apple upselled me to the more expensive MacBook. But you won't hear me complaining. Should be a great little machine once I receive it.

4. scottintosh macrumors member

I will be purchasing the 2.4

I will be purchasing the 2.4ghz model because, $250 isn't all that much compared to $1250 that you would be spending on the slower one. You get a notably faster processor, bigger hard drive, and a backlit keyboard.

Going out and buying a 250GB harddrive to replace the 160gb that comes in the lower model is going to cost around $85 and the processor is not upgradeable.

Im a freshman in college, and I believe that spending the extra $250 is well worth the speed and storage improvement that I get with the $1499 model.

5. budkid macrumors regular

I ordered my 2.0Ghz Macbook yesterday. I was originally thinking about the 2.4Ghz model but backlit keyboard was not really a big deal for me.

You actually save $270 from not purchasing the 2.4Ghz model(using school discount.) That is an extra $270 for Black Friday coming next month. You could grab cheap external and hopefully cheaper memory by then.

It is all up to you.

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I highly doubt that the processor will make any difference in day-to-day tasks like web browsing, video or music. My 2.0GHz seems just as fast as my 2.4GHz iMac.

Where it may be noticeable is when performing longer tasks, like converting a video to another format. I'm skeptical that it would be a significant leap - we're talking about shaving seconds off of a task which would take half an hour to complete.

7. scottintosh macrumors member

2ghz vs. 2.4ghz is about 20% speed improvement. So on even on a seemingly short video conversion (30 minutes) it would take 6 minutes off. That is actually more than I expected, I just quickly did the math to prove a point.

I can see that 2ghz will be plenty for most, but my point is that for $250 more (which I think is minimal compared to the already high cost of $1250) you get a 20% percent faster processor and a larger harddrive (which would cost somewhere around $85 to upgrade yourself) and a backlit keyboard.

If you wanted to get the 2.0 and upgrade to a 250GB HD for even a low price of 70 dollars. The total difference in cost then would only be about $180.