Low FPS in WoW - 2011 2.2 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drecca, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Drecca, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

Drecca macrumors regular

hey guys,

Anyone else have pretty low FPS in wow (orgrimmar for example)? I used the "recommended" settings, and it moved everything to high. I'm now sitting at 10fps. I thought with the new ATI card you could pretty much play on Ultra, but even high and "good" settings have low fps.

What gives? This is on OSX by the way.

specs : 2.2 i7 (2011)
    256gb ssd
    8gb ram

2. lukta macrumors member

Could just be org if you're on a high pop server. I'm sure you can mix and match your settings to find a good fit. Also, use the valley of honor AH and bank ;). I don't have mine yet so I can't really tell you fromy own exp though.

3. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

Thats strange though, I have my settings on Ultra and I get 35-60 fps in Stormwind and Dalaran...hmmm. And I'm on a 2010 13" C2D. :confused:

4. Drecca thread starter macrumors regular

doing a lost city heroic, fps dropped to 17. 17 on a 2011 mbp and no addons just to see if it was that (my 2010 got 60 fps no problem).

5. Cr0nus macrumors member

Cr0nus

Are you using the "recommended settings"? Your fps is definitely very low for WoW.

6. Drecca thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, on recommended, everything but firefox closed (firefox is on google, no page loaded). Turned off all addons, getting ~10 fps in Azshara

Also, typing in Firefox (this post) is now lagging a bit. A good half a second before each letter I type shows up. This was after I set wow to recommend (command-m minimized)

All updates have been ran, and the graphics card does work (it switches to dicreet graphics in firefox 4 beta since it came out)

7. MrFlynn macrumors member

Its running on the integrated card. Reboot the machine, and retry. I've had some intermittent issues running wow after the machine wakes from sleep where its on the integrated card.

Other option is to go in to the system prefs under energy saver and disable the auto graphics feature.

8. Drecca thread starter macrumors regular

Just a quick update, last poster may have been correct. I disabled graphics switching in Settings, and rebooted. On recommended settings it now runs smoothly, AND firefox runs fine again.

Strange, since gfxcardstatus showed the system running on the ATI card.

9. MrFlynn macrumors member

I usually run in to this issue when the machine comes out of sleep, especially when it's connected to an external display. Drecca have you had an ext display connected at all when running in to this problem?

10. Drecca thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, no external display at all, but it was woken up from sleep a half hour prior to going into WoW. It needed a reboot to get it working right again.

11. MrFlynn macrumors member

Im guessing we're going to hear more about this in the future. I've seen it pretty regularly. Im guessing the display isnt relevant, its more about the graphics switching not working reliably after awaking from sleep.

Something you might want to try Drecca...I woke the machine from sleep and then disabled the auto graphics switching...and it STILL used the integrated card when I launched wow. I had to reboot for it to work. So it seems that not only does the switching not work right, but you cant force the discreet card after waking from sleep.