Low FPS issues with MacBook mid 2009.

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by msjones, Oct 28, 2009.

1. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Hello, been a while since I have posted here. But I am back with a new Mac!

Just got myself a new mid 2009 MacBook, was going cheap since the new white uni-bodies came out. As you know they are rockin' the 9400M nVidia chipset.

Now I know these aren't the most capable of GPU's for getting some serious FPS but they are pretty sweet.

I am having trouble with Doom 3. I currently only have the demo, wanted to see how it ran before I bought the full game (hard to get hold of these days). Is the demo/game not optimized for intel hardware? It is so judery, less than 10FPS.

I have COD4 running in OS X and that is fetching 25+ FPS even in heavy scenes, never dropping below. I have Steam installed in bootcamp running left 4 dead at 60+ FPS dipping to 35 minimum.

I would really like to get doom 3 and quake 4 but this is really putting me off.

Thanks

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Doom 3 (demo, dunno about full version) is PPC, so it will run horrible on intel.

3. msjones thread starter macrumors 6502

msjones

Damn, do I spend the £40 and chance it or not.....hmmm. Maybe I could play it on the G5.

4. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Sorry to ask a noob question but how do you know what FPS a game is running at?

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Often there are frame-rate tests you can envoke with a command.

Doom 3 demo is PPC only.
    Doom 3 'full game' has a universal patch and it should see the framerate be at least in its 60's on a 2009 MBP 9600GT

6. msjones thread starter macrumors 6502

msjones

So I am looking 30-40 on 2009 MB 9400M.... Nice. I have a G5 anyway but MB is always with me.

7. msjones thread starter macrumors 6502

msjones

Game arrived this morning, installed and updated. Getting good smooth frames at 1280x800 with AA on.

Now I have another problem.

I play through the first part of the game, go to Marine HQ get my mission. Follow that annoying robot and get in the lift to go find that chap.

After clicking the button in the lift, it drops me back off at the game start screen... This happened to anyone else?

8. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Damn, I played Doom 3 but completely dismissed it and deleted it because of the horrible FPS, never knew there was a FPS patch, damn.

9. msjones thread starter macrumors 6502

msjones

Sorted my problem. Had openAL enabled!

Works fine now, awesome game for age!