Low free memory on new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WestonHarvey1, Apr 18, 2010.

1. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

I just got a new i5 MBP with 4GB. I noticed in Activity Monitor, that after booting, I've only got ~840MB of free memory and around 530MB Inactive. This is a totally new computer with nothing installed on it.

Is this normal? My previous MBP had 3GB and over 2GB were free on boot.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Doesn't sound right, even on my MBAir the memory would not be that full (percentage wise) after reboot.

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Open activity Monitor, set it to show all processes, sort by RAM used, and post a screenshot that shows the list of processes and the pie chart of RAM used. Hopefully that will reveal the problem.

OS X is leaking RAM for me. If I close all my processes, Activity Monitor will still show several GB in use (not counting inactive). Logging out helps a little, but only rebooting completely resets it. I have only 46MB free and 2.33 GB inactive right now, and if I try to open something that takes a lot of RAM, some of the inactive RAM will be swapped to the disk, even though it sounds like it should just be instantly dropped based on the definition of inactive RAM. I have 6GB of RAM, and the total used by all my programs probably never exceeds 3-4GB worst-case, yet I still have to wait for stuff to swap out to the disk sometimes.

4. WestonHarvey1 thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, so far I'm not having any performance issues because of this, and I'm running a lot of stuff now. The memory actually seems to free up the more applications I open - my free RAM is a little higher after starting VMWare and a ton of other stuff.

I'm just going to shrug my shoulders and say I have absolutely no idea how Snow Leopard manages RAM.