Low geekbench score i5 macbook pro.... why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jesso, Jul 24, 2012.

1. jesso macrumors member

Hi all,
    When I first got my macbook pro (early 2010) I was getting scores in the low 5000s.
    Hadn't run geekbench in a while, but now my score is much lower, about 4300.
    Here's the link to my result.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/883707

Just wondering if there's a reason for this?
    I'm concerned slightly. I've just done a clean install of lion, and I've got more ram than I used to (8 gigs instead of 4).
    Why is it getting such a low score? It seems lower than most other machines with the same specs.

2. jesso thread starter macrumors member

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

You should wait a bit longer than 55 minutes in the middle of the day for a reply. This not a very common question that a lot of people will know the answer to.

4. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

To really get a good test, you need to roll back to what you were running before. That means to roll back the memory you had running. More memory does not mean more speed. If the new memory is slower, your macbook will run at the slower speed. Second, the OS level. It is possible that newer patches or firmware requires more processing. If you can exactly go back to the same level of hardware and software, that would give you a good comparisons.

At this point, your current MAcbook is like another any other new laptop. Nothing much to compare.

5. It's Electric macrumors member

Have you checked Activity Monitor to see if other processes are eating up CPU time? You can also use a tool like iStat Pro to check if your processor is getting too hot and throttling.

6. jesso thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, it's evening time where I am! (Ireland)

7. biohead macrumors 6502

Did you run the 64bit version when you got 5000? As there's a big difference between the 32 and 64 versions.

Looking at similar results, 4300 looks to be the median score for your model anyway. Looking like it's perfectly normal.

8. jesso thread starter macrumors member

Thanks that's interesting, I'm not really bothered enough to go putting in my old ram / changing OS etc!
    I do quite CPU intensive stuff on it (music production), so I was a bit bummed to see the performance drop. Although, not sure if that's real world performance, as I haven't noticed much of a slowdown.

----------

Also, I downloaded istat. And all seems well, nothing crazy there. My meters are low when the laptop is idle.