Low HD speed (bootcamp - XP pro SP3)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by T911, May 17, 2009.

1. T911 macrumors newbie

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum.
    I'm a new owner of a Mac Pro 2009 Quad 2.66 6Gb ATI4870.

I've installed XP pro SP3 in a dedicated HD (HD bay no. 3). The HD is a western digital blue 640Gb.

The installation of XP is completed without any problem, but when I've checked the speed of my "PC" I've noticed that that the HD was very very slow.
    The speed is 1/10 of the speed of a normal HD (ten times more).

I've tested the speed with the software
    PerformanceTest 7.0
    http://www.passmark.com/
    (demo version is free for 30 days)
    My results:
    Sequential read 2.63 Mb/sec.
    Sequential write 2.90 Mb/sec.

Have someone had the same problem ?
    Suggestions?

Thank you in advance
    TS

2. valvehead macrumors regular

Check to see if DMA is enabled. Go to Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Open the properties of each ATA channel and select Advanced Settings. Transfer Mode should be set to "DMA if available". The Current Transfer Mode should show Ultra DMA Mode 5 or 6 (optical drives will probably be mode 4).

Also while you are in Device Manager, check to see if there are any exclamation marks showing. If so there may be drivers that didn't install properly.

3. T911 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks valvehead for your reply.

When I look at the ATA/ATAPI IDE controller there is :
    - Channel IDE primary
    - Channel IDE primary
    - Channel IDE secondary
    - Channel IDE secondary
    Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port serail ATA Storage controller 2-3A26
    Intel(R) ICH10 Family 4 port serail ATA Storage controller 1-3A20

The first channel IDE primary is set to "DMA is avalaible" but the current transfer mode is set to "mode PIO".
    The second channel IDE primary is set to "DMA is avalaible" but the current transfer mode is set to "Ultra DMA mode 5".

The first channel IDE secondary is set to "DMA is avalaible" but the current transfer mode is set to "mode PIO".
    The second channel IDE secondary is set to "DMA is avalaible" but the current transfer mode is set to "Ultra DMA mode 5".

Is this normal ?
    It's impossible to change the "Mode PIO"...

?!?!?need Help please !