low light camcorder suggestion

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jsanfilippo5, Sep 19, 2008.

1. jsanfilippo5 macrumors newbie

I currently have a hv20- great camera the low light quality of the hv20 is awesome. I wanted to know if there is any standard definition camcorders out there that have similar low light characteristics of the hv20???

I oculd use the hv20 in SD mode, but id prefer to get some a little cheaper...

Thanks!!

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Surely the cheapest option would be to use the HV20 you already have in SD mode?

3. jsanfilippo5 thread starter macrumors newbie

if i didnt ned the second camcorder- it would be my cheapest option- but i am loking for a second camera....

4. ecivda macrumors newbie

I think it will do you good you if you look out for expert reviews of the brands that meet your criteria. Usually, these reviews have accompanying camcorder ratings which can be your basis in gauging the quality of the product. This will ensure that you will be getting the best one possible. Good luck.

5. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Yup. That site places the HV30 under the CX7. What the . . . ?

I can't think of a single standard definition camcorder running a CMOS chip like the HV20 / HV30. You'd want something with a single medium large chip like the HV20 / HV30 to replicate the sensitivity in "low-light" situations. So your best bet is to scour the specs pages. I think you'd be very lucky to find something comparable. Chase down a second-hand HV20?

6. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

The best low light camera i've used is the Sony PD-170 DVCAM Camcorder. I'm sure they don't make them any more but they were just fantastic cameras

7. jsanfilippo5 thread starter macrumors newbie

that sont is huge- not exactly what im looking for..

Thanks for everyones opinions, i think im just going to o some trial and error, and use some of the generous return policies that stores carry..

Thanks!

8. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Well, good low-light performance and small form factor are somewhat mutually exclusive. You need larger CCD (or CMOS) sensors so that what little light gets into the camera has a larger surface area to work with on each pixel. With small sensors, the only differentiator will be how clean or noisy the electronics (gain) is.

- Martin

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yeah, my Sony VX2000 (3-CCD) offers excellent low-light sensitivity but it's not exactly cheap or small.

10. jsanfilippo5 thread starter macrumors newbie

when i say low loght - I also mean- living room 2 x 100 watt light bulb..