Low Light Iphone 4 Pictures and Video - Aweful

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by damitssam, Jul 7, 2010.

1. damitssam macrumors 6502

Has anyone noticed how bad the video and pictures are on the iphone 4 for low light. It takes a LED light to make ANYTHING not blurry when taking a picture, and for videos in dark areas (ie a club) it is just awful. There was so much noise in the video and no focus whatsoever. I was planning on not taking my point and shoot to parties, but i guess I have to go back, cause the quality is just really awful during the night. Any apps out there to help cure it?

The daytime it works wonders though.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Full of awe?

Seriously, few consumer camcorders do well in low light without supplemental lighting. Show me another PHONE that performs better.

3. Resist macrumors 68030

Any cell phone camera is not going to take great low light pictures. If you want quality shots, use a camera only device.

You can do it with a DSLR camera as it can be adjusted for longer exposures, but the trade off is that any movement by the subject will be blurred.

4. TSparger macrumors member

5. friedduck macrumors newbie

Seriously, I've only taken a few but it's as good as a lot of P&S cameras I've used. Not great but usable quality even in a darkened room.

At the pixel level of course it's grainy but color rendition is nice and for a snapshot noise isn't objectionable. People get all wound up but if you intend to print 8x10 from photos taken with your phone you're using the wrong tool.

6. BadMoon macrumors 6502

I disagree. I just got my replacement phone and this pic was taken with only a very small desk light on in the room. :cool: I would look into a replacement.

[​IMG]

7. Evgenyy macrumors regular

I also disagree. I made some beautiful night and low light shots on iPhone 4 in places where my DSLR could not cope without long exposures. The backlit sensor copes extremely well in low light given its small size.

8. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Trying to shoot pictures in a dark club without a flash would be ridiculously difficult even on a DSLR without a decently wide lens. The kit 3.5 lens isn't going to cut it. Of course an iPhone isn't going to have great quality.

9. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

Remember, first and formost the iPhone is what???....a phone. There are several video cameras out there that perform poorly in low light conditions.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Has the OP not seen all the 4th of July videos? IMO, the camera works great in these conditions.

11. batman1056 macrumors newbie

I had the xperia S - nice phone but really bad low light and focus.
    Now got a OLD Nokia N8 -- never seen better on any other phone - the Nokia 808 which is due out soon as some serious technology.

I am holding out either for the Nokia 808 or Iphone 5. but wait for people to test them as I have historically bought phones on day1 and regretted it due to issues. Iphone4 is good, but the sensor is not big enough. to understand what this means search for white paper Nokia 808 -

Basically - higher pixels doesnt mean quality - the size of pixels are getting smaller, so in theory a 8mp camera now uses the same sensor size as a 3mp years ago - just more pixels - less light too.