Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Depends on what you call low light and what quality you are expecting.

With the tiny sensor low light images will be "smeared" in the lowest light areas due to the noise reduction applied.
So it wont take for example a clear photo on a dark street with 1 dim lamp.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I doubt it. Depends on how close one is to the one street light. Phone cameras are not known for great low light work. It is not just the lack of light but holding the camera still enough to avoid motion blur would be difficult, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: akash.nu

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I doubt it. Depends on how close one is to the one street light. Phone cameras are not known for great low light work. It is not just the lack of light but holding the camera still enough to avoid motion blur would be difficult, too.
What other areas do they fail against DSLRs

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

It would be hard to compare a full blown DSLR to the phone camera. The sensor is so large that noise may not be a problem at even very high ISO which mean little to no noise reduction leaving you with a much cleaner image. DSLR allows the user to have so much more control of the image.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Low light shots are quite good on the X and noticeably better than the 7 Plus. I think the improved sensor is part of it and the other part is the post-processing with the Bionic chip. I've taken test shots in a very poorly lit room and noticed a decent amount of grain during the live preview that doesn't appear in the finished shot. The post-processing softens image detail of course, but it seems that Apple struck a good balance because the finished shot looked surprisingly good to me considering the very low light I was shooting in.

I'm quite happy with the low-light performance of the X. Although of course you can't beat a DSLR with a low-aperture lens, and I do break that out for special moments.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA

It will likely depend on the display and the viewing distance. It's not going to look like it was shot using a full frame DSLR if you zoom in and start examining the pixels, but it will look better than the same shot taken with an iPhone 6.

There are a lot of reviews out there that have sample photos taken in all lighting conditions. I would check some of those out to see if it will meet your expectations. This one has some sample images that look like the type of shot you are describing (although not taken in total darkness):
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/apple_iphone_x_review/sample_images/

DXO called it their top camera for stills:
https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone-x-top-performer-stills/

There are also threads on this site with sample photos. As a photographer I'm very impressed by what the new generation of smartphone cameras can do with such tiny sensors. I'm sure I will use the iPhone X more than I used the camera on my iPhone 6 (which isn't bad in good light) and be more satisfied with the results... but it's not going to replace my Olympus or Nikon kits for times when I plan to take a lot of photos. I do think the X will help me feel better about leaving my dedicated cameras at home for times when I might not use them.

Sean

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
All i can say is that low light is still almost as problematic as previous phones.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
You can't compare the tiny mobile phone sensor and optics to the exponentially bigger optics and sensor of a DSLR. That would be like trying to compare a pee-wee 50cc to an 1100cc racing bike!

jgiannakas

macrumors member
May 26, 2014
It’s OK and usable when viewing on a phone screen. For anything more not really due to the aggressive noise reduction. I’ve been using the lightroom iOS app to capture pictures in DNG and then apply less Noise Reduction on them to reduce the watercolour effect but with some grain remaining visible. Overall it’s not even close to my DSLR but usable and better than previous iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.