Low MBP prices in Japan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kfmfe04, Sep 23, 2014.

1. kfmfe04 macrumors member

With the strong dollar, mbp's bought in Japan are a really good deal. Check out these prices from kakaku.com

JPY221,940 2014 Mid 15" rmbp 2.5GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 750m
    JPY219,000 2013 Ear 15" rmbp 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 650m
    JPY199,045 2013 Lat 15" rmbp 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 750m

Note that these prices are updated on a daily basis.

That's USD2035, USD2012, and USD1828 at today's exchange rates, inclusive of tax and shipping within Japan! I just asked a friend to buy that last unit for me.

One thing to watch out for is the keyboard. Since I type in Japanese and am a developer, I actually like the control key where the caps-lock key is, and the 英数 and かな keys are quite useful. But some users may be put off by the large return key and the small delete and space bar. Also, some symbols are rearranged. But if you use a mechanical USB keyboard, these are non-issues.

Perhaps many users can't deal with these keyboards, but if you actually like this kind of configuration, like me, then these prices are actually quite good.

Obviously, they are most useful if you live in Japan, have a friend who does, or you are planning a trip to Akihabara soon. Drop-shipping can quickly erode any advantages of buying on a strong dollar.

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The fees from Japanese shopping/brokerage firms are getting pretty ridiculous. I certainly wouldn't go this route for items I can pretty easily get stateside, but they can be useful for anime collectibles and the like. Back in the day, I used to import and flip anime production cels. It was a nice way to make a few extra dollars, but that market dried up a long time ago.