Low Memory Alarm

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ciara70, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Ciara70, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

Ciara70 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Quick question, What does the alarm "Low memory" (its listed 27 times)in the diagnostics section of the IP3?? This is a replacement IP3 that I received from Apple three days ago and I want to make sure the device does not have a problem?.

BTW - this new replacement still runs hot in my opinion on the bottom left side of the device...

Any advice would be most helpful and appreciated.

Thank you,

2. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Its quite normal to see low memory listings in the diagnostic log. I see them in mine from time to time, whether 27 times is excessive then I'm not sure, perhaps someone can help you further with this point.

Its been mentioned a lot about the 3rd gen iPad running a little hotter than earlier generations, but its nothing to be concerned about if you are using the iPad or charging it. If however the iPad is not getting used, i.e. its in sleep state, then really it shouldn't be getting hot.

3. Ciara70 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you FB for your response.... Any idea what the " Low Memory" actually means?

4. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Yep, you are on iOS 6 and you have a app on your iPad that has a memory leak... :(. It's not a good thing to have, hopefully the next version of iOS 6 will be less buggy...

5. Ciara70 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi DAV1, can you please tell me more about this issue?? I have an appointment with Apple I'm the morning, is this something they can help me with? Is it going to damage the IP3?

Could this have anything to do with the excessive battery drain and temp?

BTW - this replacement IP3 is operating on ISO5.1

Thanks for your time,

6. Dav1 macrumors 6502

See; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_leak or google it. Apple will seldom acknowledge any fault on their part. It is a software issue. I'd be inclined to delete all apps you've installed and power on your iPad 3 and allow it to remain on all night. If you have fresh events it is an issue with iOS on your iPad.

If you don't have any new warning, use your iPad for 24 hours and recheck, then start reinstalling your apps one at a time and use it for 24 hours. When you find a new event, chances are good the last app cause the issue. Don't reload the app, until the app maker claims it has been fixed.

My iPad 3 did not have any issues with iOS 5.1.1, and memory leaks, it does with iOS 6 :(

This is not a hardware issue as a rule, generally. If you are not playing games, and you are not running at 75% or greater brightness while your iPad is trying to charge, it shouldn't get hot, in my opinion. If it does their is an issue, and I'd swap it.

7. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Memory cautions in the crash log are irrelevant and NOT something you should concern yourself with. The speed of the on board NAND (your storage) and iOS memory management integrates extremely well together. High page in/outs are very common and of little to no concern. The speed of the NAND and memory working together eliminates any 'obvious' signs of low memory.

This is one of the great positives of iOS. It's memory management is simply phenomenal. Until you notice apps crashing or other bizarre errors, disregard. No need to be surveying your 'logs' for internal errors and issues. If there's a problem you'll know it.

This is also a really nice benefit in any computer utilizing SSD or NAND flash memory (ala MBA)---the speed of the SSD compensates well for any lack of memory in 'most' applications.

Keep in mind...iPads are the only iPad developer platform. There aren't dozens of different configurations that these guys and gals are coding for. If you're rockin' the 'new' iPad, and not noticing any app crashing (universal) or anomalies with standard operation...you're fine! Cancel your appointment. And enjoy:)

J

8. Ciara70 thread starter macrumors newbie

Again,Thank you very much for your time... What could be the longer term issue with the IP3 if this was not resolved?? Additionally I think I'm still going to take it to the Genius Bar tomorrow(have appt)because of the battery performance or lack there of as well as the heat.. Again could this condition have anything to do with the battery performance?

9. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Also be aware that if you update to iOS 6, you might get some apps loading up and then immediately quitting by itself and going back to the home screen.

If the app worked fine prior to iOS 6, then this problem is just the developer has not got the app compatible with iOS 6, most apps will be iOS 6 compatibly, but you might get some at this present time that are not. I have around 70 apps on my iPad/iPhone and I had one that was not iOS 6 compatible, this has since had an update and works fine now with iOS 6. Apps that quit like this will more than likely put an entry in the diagnostic log as well.

I just thought I'd point this out in case you get your iPad replaced and it comes either pre installed with iOS 6, or that you might have wanted to restore as a new device rather than from a backup. Has restoring as new will install the latest iOS version.

----------

If you are charging the iPad, like most things that get charged up, will get a little warm, if its really hot, then this is not normal.

Also if you are playing games (which can be processor/CPU intensive) it is normal for a bit of heat to be felt.

But if the iPad is in its sleep state and is still getting warm/hot, then this is not normal, has really the iPad is doing nothing or is doing very little. If yours is doing this, then this could be the cause of the lack of battery performance.