Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
I waited to upgrade all my iDevices to iOS 8 until iOS 8.1 was released. I was planning to wait even longer, but wanted to be able to JB with Pangu. NOTE: I have not JB'n yet.

I've noticed, over the past few days, that my iPad "4" often stalls and/or displays a message about low memory. A quick glance at Activity Monitor has shown, in every case, that nearly all RAM is used up.

Anyone else experience this or similar?

Last edited:

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
What apps or features do you have turned ON? Do you reset your device at least occasionally? Any recent apps installed that may have changed the behavior?

Can't say this is common unless you have a zillion apps open at once.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Not seeing the "warning" but I am getting a significant number of low-mem, jetsam, resource crashes in D&U - iPad 4 16gb wifi.

It was worse on 8.0 - 8.0.2 but still prevalent on 8.1.

My killers have been Safari, WebEx, email, and MSO (PP).

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
What apps or features do you have turned ON? Do you reset your device at least occasionally? Any recent apps installed that may have changed the behavior?

Can't say this is common unless you have a zillion apps open at once.

I close all apps after use, so only one app at a time (usually Safari) is causing this.

Sanfordskier

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
I am having a similar issue

Thanks Peter
I have found that after I upgraded to iOS 8.1 on my iPad 4 it tends to run very low on Random Access Memory causing it to crash when running Safari and Ebay. It ran perfectly with iOS 7.1.2. I have contacted Apple Support and they have confirmed this is a widespread issue. Well I hope they get this fix done immediately as a part of iOS 8.1.1. My iPad 4 has 1 GB of RAM which is also typical of all the newer iPads too. I have found I can gain about 100k of memory if I run the Ebay App directly but I rather run Ebay through Safari. My iPad 4 has 16GB of total storage and has about 5.1 GB free. I have nothing else running except for Safari when this problem happens.

Last edited:

Sanfordskier

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
Some improvements with 8.1.1

I am running an iPad 4 with 8.1.1 and it seems like Safari is running slightly faster and smoother. When I run Sys-lite, the Free Memory is about 400MB which was similar before I upgraded. I was having a problem with backspacing with Safari/ Ebay while running 8.1. I still need to check to see if that is fixed. I'll offer feedback after I check it.

Ev0d3vil

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
I am running an iPad 4 with 8.1.1 and it seems like Safari is running slightly faster and smoother. When I run Sys-lite, the Free Memory is about 400MB which was similar before I upgraded. I was having a problem with backspacing with Safari/ Ebay while running 8.1. I still need to check to see if that is fixed. I'll offer feedback after I check it.

Really? If that's so I'll upgrade.

Sanfordskier

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
Backspacing seems to be working

I have loaded Safari with Ebay and then attempted some backspacing and it seems to be working. It would be nice if Apple would publish the bugs they fix with each release - can't find the list anywhere.

Sanfordskier

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
Memory

With my iPad 4 and 8.1.1 the memory management seems to be working better. I opened Safari, Word and some other applications and Sys-lite would show that memory would adjust automatically to improve free memory up to about 70 MB from 20 MB. I tried to see if it would crash and so far it wouldn't crash or lockup.

Just remember that most iPads run 1 GB of RAM or less. Only the iPad Air 2 has 2 GB of RAM. Now I see why - it allows a user much more room for applications. Come on Apple, load more memory into the iPad family so it is more useful to everyone.

The Macbook Pro comes with 8 GB or 16 GB of RAM, so you can see Apple loads these machines with lots of memory. The Mac Pro comes with 12 GB up to 64 GB.

For a long time I was a huge Microsoft Windows fan, but their software was so buggy all the time, I was upset with all their upgrades. Apple isn't perfect but their software seems to be better than the Redmond software. I love my iPad and will buy a Mac Book Pro instead of another Windows machine. I can always run Boot Camp or Parallels with Windows 7 if I need to.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Has anyone upgraded to 8.1.1 and noticed any improvements?

iPad 4 16gb wifi model on 8.1.1
Seeing less app crash and other issues from low mem - a bit soon to really tell. I am surprised to see a couple of new low mem app crashes for objects in Newstand - had a WSJ and Forbes today.

It may be an improvement. I'm not holding my breath.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.