BasilFawlty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
Ok, so I have Win 7 installed under Bootcamp. My Mac OS is the latest Lion. Recently I bought Parallels as part of a special bundle of software that MacUpdate was selling and I installed it without any problems tonight, using my Bootcamp install as the Win 7 installation. It works, but when I go to the Windows side it says I'm using 80% of my memory even with no apps running. I ant into Task Manager and looked at the "Performance" tab and it says I only have 1GB memory (I actually have 12GB installed). When I boot into Windows natively with Bootcamp, it shows all 12GB). Any idea why I'm only seeing 1 GB on the windows side when running in Parallels?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Presumably you have only 1GB assigned to the VM in Parallels - you can modify this in the VM configuration.

Don't set it to 12GB - that'll assign all your host memory to the guest VM and will slow your Mac to a crawl. I find, as a rule of thumb, that assigning a maximum of about 1/3 of the RAM to a VM (in your case 4GB) provides the best host and guest OS performance.

Comment

BasilFawlty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
Presumably you have only 1GB assigned to the VM in Parallels - you can modify this in the VM configuration.

Don't set it to 12GB - that'll assign all your host memory to the guest VM and will slow your Mac to a crawl. I find, as a rule of thumb, that assigning a maximum of about 1/3 of the RAM to a VM (in your case 4GB) provides the best host and guest OS performance.

Ahah! Thanks! That did the trick (though it took me a while to figure out how/where to set the memory allocated to the VM. It was indeed set to 1GB, but I increased to 4GB (I have 12 installed)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.