Low Mix Level!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by vm1971, Nov 20, 2007.

1. vm1971 macrumors newbie

HI!!!
    im about to get Logic Studio...and im an experienced musician...so im used to recording, mixing, etc. i used to run an ADAT system and now im moving over to Logic.

HOWEVER
    im entering a remix contest where Garageband is the weapon of choice. its not too bad, and kinda fun for a consumer app. [its v.3]... BUT - here is what happens after my meticulously EQ'ed tracks are all "mixed" to iTunes and then played in the iTunes app:

1. the level is very low, compared to "real" songs in the library, and the overall EQ is much more high-endish. my master levels were set nicely...not too low but not pinning the red.

2. when adjusted IN iTunes, [generic EQ, volume]..its still too low, but heard on the iPod its SO loud you have to half-cock the volume to avoid bloody ears.

i want to WIN this damned contest and i dont want to be overlooked due to the shoddy "mix" ability of GB. what the hell can i do to make this final file sound good and at a comparable volume of normal releases? :confused:

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! deadline is early december ...
    Vince

2. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

Audio hijack it out of garage band when you want to downmix perhaps?

3. vm1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mix Level

how do u mean?
    i just did a goofy test with a crap loop... and it was fine. [im at work now]...so when i get home, im going to try what i JUST did and see if thats the fix. cause i DONT know if it makes any difference, but instead of "Send Song to iTunes" i chose Export to disk...and that opens in iTunes at the same "normal" volume of "real" releases in the library. [this is with my goofy test loop].

do you think that has ANYthing to do with it? my guess is NO, but it seemed to work.... with the test file. the REAL test is when i get home to the remix.

cant wait to go to Logic.

ME:)

4. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

If you're monitoring it with itunes make sure you turn off the audio enhancer, volume leveling and push the volume to max and use you're other controls. In fact I think VLC is a better option.

Edit - Audio Hijack is a bit of software that can record audio from other applications. You don't have to pay but it will add white noise after a few minutes.

5. vm1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lame Levels

THANKS SO MUCH!
    yeah... i did all that. i kinda saw this coming going into it. and i think im over-analyzing it due to the fact that i just WISH i knew that the "judges" would play the track on a decent system - LOUD. its tight and sounds good. im still refining the final mix.... and will get it right somehow, ... THANKS GUYS!
    happy Turkey day, too. :D