Low noise solution for audio production

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ninecows, Jul 17, 2012.

1. ninecows macrumors newbie

Hi

Originally I was going for the iMac, but I'm not very keen on paying that much for last years model, so now I'm looking at other options.

I need the following:

Low fan noise
    Good processing power
    Large display (27 inch - don't need a lot of retina pixels, just space)
    FireWire support
    SSD drive with min 128 gb (I have 4 TB external so storage space is not an issue)
    Should be able to do a bit of flight simulator/other 3D heavy games on occasion

So I've been looking at the following options:

13" mbp 2012 plus thunderbolt display

Mac mini (in doubt what model to pick - which has the best processing power to price ratio?) plus thunderbolt display

iMac 2011 27"

I count on replacing any build in hdd with an ssd my self (what apple charges for this is ridiculous apart from 128 gb in the mbp)

Have anyone tried to compare the noise of these? My "local" reseller ("only" two hours drive) might have them all on display, but that shop is always so noisy as any shop are (music playing, people talking) so it's difficult to compare.

Which setup will I give me most bang for the buck?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Obviously the mbp will give portability as well, but the computer should mainly be a stationary.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's a shame you can't wait for the refresh on the iMac range...I'm using a 27" maxed out 2011 (a year old yesterday) and it's ideal for what you want to do...I put in 16GB of ram, upgraded the GPU to 2GB and got the top end cpu (3.4GHZ) It never causes noise issues and the real-estate is exactly what you need.

I also do video and picture work, so it does that jobs too. I can understand your reluctance to buy one now though...If you can just wait a couple more months...:)

3. ninecows thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the usual problem in here... We don't know where Apple is going with the iMac line. People have been saying wait a few months since February and there's still no solid rumors of an upgrade :-( It might be that they decided to kill the iMac or a spec bumb could come next week... Only Tim knows and he wont tell

But thanks