Low or High End Macbook Pro 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DashSatan, Apr 17, 2015.

1. DashSatan macrumors 6502

I'm going to be getting the new 15" Retina as soon as they announce it this June at WWDC (hopefully). I was wondering if I could get some opinions on what specs you think I may need, meaning the higher or lower end one. Any input would really be appreciated! And I know we don't know the exact specs of a laptop that hasn't been announced yet, but we can pretty much ballpark with what's already on the market for them.

My main uses for the laptop will be video editing on Final Cut 7, Photoshop, Lightroom, maybe some gaming off of Steam (I usually play indie games on my laptop, Bastian type games). And of course the obvious, searching the web, microsoft word; all things that won't touch the processing power ha.

The laptop will be my main source for a lot of things though and I'll be using it for work extensively. I work for a web development company and I do a lot of Photoshop.

So do you guys think the lower end model 15" would be fine or should I spend the extra money on the higher end model to get that extra push? I also want to make sure the laptop lasts me as long as it possibly can. Again, any help would really be great. Thanks in advance guys!

2. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

It's a pick'em

You have quad core processors on the 15" so whichever one is your choice, it'll be fine.

Obviously, whatever they beef up on the higher end will be a plus. But even if you picked up the lower end 15" now, you'd be fine. :p

3. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Theres not really that big of a jump between the i7 models. Couple hundred cycles/second difference at most.

It'll probably come standard with 16GB, which is fine.

The difference would be in the storage and discrete graphics. If you want to do anything more than light gaming, you're probably going to want the discrete graphics. For video editing, you're going to either want a large internal storage or a medium internal storage + external thunderbolt drive.