low power mode bug on latest iphone update

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by clockelect, Oct 2, 2018.

1. clockelect Suspended

Ever since the latest update, whenever the iphone is turned off, when it is turned back on again, the phone reverts to non-low-power mode so it is necessary to change it to low-power mode every time the phone is turned back on. This did not happen before the current update. Is there a fix to this? Thanks.

2. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Why are you turning the phone off while in low power mode? The phone uses a lot of power while booting up, since the CPU and flash memory are heavily used in the boot-up process.

Whether this is a bug or intentional is a mystery, but really, how often do you reboot your phone in low power mode?

3. clockelect thread starter Suspended

irrelevant to my question and doesn't answer it at all. i always turn my phone off when i'm not using it. i want to keep it in low-power mode, but i constantly have to turn it to low-power mode when i turn the phone on. this only happened after the latest update. it is a bug.

4. treichert macrumors 6502

Intended behaviour. Stop Turning off your phone.

5. chrfr macrumors 604

I doubt Apple considers it a bug. I don't either. Considering how rarely the typical user shuts off an iPhone, most would likely be confused to have the phone turn on and not be fully functional initially.

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Intended based on what? Why wasn't it that way before?

7. cmaier macrumors G5

Low power mode is intended as a last resort, not as the normal mode of operation. Power cycling the phone is an operation that people expect to return their phone to normal operation.

Tired of fielding support calls and visits from people who didn’t understand why their battery icon was yellow or how to “fix” it, they rightfully made it so that power cycling takes care of the problem.

8. chabig macrumors 603

I believe it has always operated this way. As others have said, low power mode is something that's intended as a last resort--to keep you phone from powering down before you can get to a charger. Charging the phone also turns it off.

9. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Charging the phone turns it off once it gets to a minimum acceptable level, which is 80%.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2018 ---
    So people's lack of knowledge and understanding means that something unrelated should change how something works just to accommodate them not understanding it and basically saving themselves from themselves. But I guess that wouldn't be much different from all the other catering to the lowest common denominator of a typical user.

That said, sounds like this is all mostly based on assumptions.

10. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

There was a bug recently where LPM stayed ON after boot, up until the last 12.0 beta i think on my 7 plus. Now its back to the "old" way, at least with XSM on 12.0/12.1 b2.

But that turning off phone thing to "save power", have no clue how much power you're wasting just starting it up every time. Where do people get these ideas/myths from? Think a 700W microwave pulls 700W when you start it everytime? Absolutely not needs to surge to get started.