Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulking

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
My iPhone 6 running iOS 9 was at 20% power last night. Got the expected notification and hit the new option to go to low power mode.
Apple says battery life will be extended up to 3 hours in this mode at that point.
I got @ 40 minutes till the phone went to zero battery and powered off.
Which isn't even normal in regular mode for what I was doing.
Reading on safari with minimal surfing on my home wifi network.
(Note: I routinely keep all settings like mail push, background updates, and GPS off for best battery life)
Anybody have experience to share?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I believe it was up to 1 hour, and that still depends on your environment and what you are doing of course.

DoctorFedora

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
My iPhone 6 running iOS 9 was at 20% power last night. Got the expected notification and hit the new option to go to low power mode.
Apple says battery life will be extended up to 3 hours in this mode at that point.
(Note: I routinely keep all settings like mail push, background updates, and GPS off for best battery life)
Up to three extra hours ON A FULL CHARGE. It works just fine for that.

paulking

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
I believe it was up to 1 hour, and that still depends on your environment and what you are doing of course.

From "Apple Insider" article which is referencing official Apple documentation-
"Apple is in fact promising that simply installing iOS 9 should give an iPhone 6 an extra hour of battery life. Turning on Low Power should add another three hours."

paulking

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Up to three extra hours ON A FULL CHARGE. It works just fine for that.

I think that's probably the important distinction - but if one is prompted to go to low power mode at 20% battery, you would think it would do better than the 40 minutes I got. I mean that's no savings considering the use conditions I described in my original post.

Reactions: sunking101

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I think that's probably the important distinction - but if one is prompted to go to low power mode at 20% battery, you would think it would do better than the 40 minutes I got. I mean that's no savings considering the use conditions I described in my original post.
IMO, low power mode shuts down what it says it's going to shut down.

It's not magic, though.

If an iPhone is blazing thru battery because it's in a low cell coverage area, or has a 'high CPU using' app running errantly in the background, it's not going to help much.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
"Apple is in fact promising that simply installing iOS 9 should give an iPhone 6 an extra hour of battery life. Turning on Low Power should add another three hours."
Yes, 3 hours from a full battery. You don't magically get 3 hours more by turning on that feature, when you have 0,0001% battery left.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
If you have never turned on must of the functions it turns off it won't be that dramatic of a change.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't believe that's from 20%.

Pelea

Suspended
Oct 5, 2014
low power mode didn't work as well as they said it would, that shouldn't be surprising.. just look at everythingapplepro's comparison on youtube, ios 9 made all iphones slower in terms of app switching/opening and general usage (besides some exceptions such as wifi) even though apple promised a "1.4x improvement".

ios 9 simply didn't live up to apple's standards.. just wait till ios 10

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
low power mode didn't work as well as they said it would, that shouldn't be surprising.. just look at everythingapplepro's comparison on youtube, ios 9 made all iphones slower in terms of app switching/opening and general usage (besides some exceptions such as wifi).

ios 9 simply didn't live up to apple's standards.. just wait till ios 10
All phones? And yeah, the reality is that it's more or less on par of what a x.0 release is like. Hopefully various things will improve with additional updates, as they have in previous versions.

paulking

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
IMO, low power mode shuts down what it says it's going to shut down.

It's not magic, though.

If an iPhone is blazing thru battery because it's in a low cell coverage area, or has a 'high CPU using' app running errantly in the background, it's not going to help much.
None of those conditions apply in this case. Cell coverage is excellent. No apps running but safari.
The new OS invites us to go to low power at 20% and in my case it did nothing to extend the battery.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
None of those conditions apply in this case. Cell coverage is excellent. No apps running but safari.
The new OS invites us to go to low power at 20% and in my case it did nothing to extend the battery.
Well, could the battery have depleted even faster if you didn't enable it? As for when the prompt for it comes up, that's a hint that Apple put when the power gets low, but if someone wants to enable it at some other point themselves they certainly can.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Maybe go into Settings > General > Reset all Settings and see if that solves the problem.

Pelea

Suspended
Oct 5, 2014
All phones? And yeah, the reality is that it's more or less on par of what a x.0 release is like. Hopefully various things will improve with additional updates, as they have in previous versions.

the iphone 6 was the only one which wasn't handicapped, its speed stayed more or less the same

paulking

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
My original post is in error.
Assuming that the phone would get 3 hours more with low power mode when it was at 20% battery was incorrect on my part. But my notion that there should be some noticeable savings at that point seems correct. Otherwise why have this feature option in the 20% battery notification. That's a significant thing for Apple to build into user experience.
It's like throwing us a life preserver.
It darn well better have an effect on the battery life!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My original post is in error.
Assuming that the phone would get 3 hours more with low power mode when it was at 20% battery was incorrect on my part. But my notion that there should be some noticeable savings at that point seems correct. Otherwise why have this feature option in the 20% battery notification. That's a significant thing for Apple to build into user experience.
It's like throwing us a life preserver.
It darn well better have an effect on the battery life!
Well, it appears that you didn't experience noticeable based on your one use of it. Perhaps you might notice it in some future uses? The savings can differ certainly, and based on different threads and reviews there are definitely people who notice them.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
From Apple's iOS9 page:
image.png

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
If you have never turned on must of the functions it turns off it won't be that dramatic of a change.

This is true. Low-power mode will only turn off many background processes (email and data fetching, background app refresh) and throttle your processor so that you phone doesn’t waste energy while it is in your pocket. It does almost nothing for active usage. As I said in another thread, those who use their iPhone sporadically throughout the day for light usage will benefit the most from this. If you turn your phone on very frequently and use processor-intensive apps, you will not notice much of a difference. When your phone reaches 20%, low-power mode will just make sure that your phone survives for an additional few hours or so, so that you can put it in your pocket and be assured that no background process is going to drain it.

Reactions: ohio.emt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.