Low Power Mode

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by max2, Feb 13, 2016.

1. max2 macrumors 68000

Is it worth turning this on ? Does it really help much with battery life ?

2. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I used to in the beginning. But the battery life is really good on the 6s plus. Maybe if you find yourself low and without a source for charging I can see turning it on.

3. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

4. Skorpio, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016

Skorpio macrumors 6502

Skorpio

The positive thing about low power mode on 6S plus is a that the IP6s+ is powerful enough to not notice it when activated, and that it's battery is generally powerful enough to not need LPM much at all, at least in my situation. My iphone 6 however, needed LPM often to run throughout the day.

5. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Never used it on my 6S Plus and never felt the need to as I always charge my phone every morning.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I have not had the need to turn it on since I got my iPhone 6s. I typically always have 20-30% of battery left at the end of the day when I plug it in. Typically get about 8 hours of usage, and 16 hours of stand by.

7. Laurie65 macrumors member

I was using LPM on my 5 and 5s after iOS 9 was released but turned it off as it did not seem to do anything or save the battery. Haven't used it since.

8. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

It helps a lot and there have been lots of real world tests on this.

The trade off of course is performance and certain functionality.

9. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

I have the 6s plus, so i never have to use this

10. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have used the feature once when I was out with no way to charge my phone. It seemed to work okay as my phone didn't die completely. Other than that, I have not used the feature. It's nice to have though for those times when you're not near a power source.

11. prss14 macrumors regular

prss14

I turn it on if I know that I plan on using the phone a lot or know I will need to use the GPS. Otherwise it really isn't needed. 6S+

12. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I have not used the feature much but my kids do and they say it helps a lot getting through the day. I might use it on an upcoming vacation where I know I will use my phone a lot during the day and be away from power. I have in the past brought a battery pack but if this feature will prevent that I will use this feature instead to lower the weight in my bag.

13. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

It doesn't make a huge difference from my experience, but it does still help and is useful if you're out all day (particularly when without an external battery) and want your phone to last that little bit longer!

14. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

How much Low Power Mode helps is depends on what your settings are normally at before turning on Low Power Mode.

If you already turn off some settings or on in the case of Reduce Motion and Reduce Transparency) for normal use then Low Power Mode won't change much because you already pretty much run the phone with the setting changes LPM enables.

15. Skika macrumors 68030

LPM changes a lot of other things you dont have access to though.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

I think aside from limiting the CPU performance pretty much all the other changes can be made by changing some settings as well (certainly more places to change them in and then to change them back if needed, compared to just enabling or disabling LPM).

17. Jsameds macrumors 68030

IMO the best times to use it are:

- When you need to charge quickly. It helps speed up charging a little
    - When you know you're going to be away from a power source for an extended period of time
    - If you are running low and you'll think you'll hit 0% before you are able to charge again

18. zarel macrumors newbie

zarel

Low power mode works great for me. I would say if I start at 20% on LPM it would take about 2-3 hours of use for the phone to die.