Low Power USB Ports?!? Boo!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Michael73, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

So I'm loving my new iPad but the USB port on my wired keyboard and the two USB ports on the back of my 30" ACD are insufficient to charge my iPad?!? What's up with THAT?!?!?!?

Are you telling me I have to either plug it into the wall or snake a USB cord from my MacPro under the desk? C'mon Apple - give me a more workable solution than that!

2. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

You're just now realizing this?
    Been like that since the first gen. The standard 5W USB outlets won't charge. Even if they did, with the new iPad's huge battery it would take forever.

3. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

4. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Dude... Most USB ports barely do 550mAh... The iPad 3 wants 2.1A. I have my house full of 4 port USB wall chargers that supplies 550mAh to each usb port. Great for the iPhone but overheats with the iPad 3 (I was watching it and testing it to see).

Yeah, the battery on the iPad 3 is insane... 40 something watt hour? Loving it tho :).

FYI - I have the same problem you did ---- If you have a Macbook like I do, just take off the extension (the part that plugs into the wall) and slide it into your iPad 3 charger (take off the prongs). And now you have an extended iPad 3 charger for free! Just have to switch it out now and then with your Macbook (Air in my case).