Low Profile Lightning to 30 pin adapter?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by milhaus, Nov 19, 2012.

1. milhaus macrumors newbie

Does anybody know of a lower profile Lightning to 30 pin adapter cable for the iPhone5? Obviously, this will have to be a non Apple solution, but there are lots of supposedly working adapters on eBay. I tried the Apple cable, and had to return it because it's too thick for my case (SwitchEasy Tones) even though the Apple branded USB cable works fine. Unfortunately, I need a 30 pin connection for the car, where it connects to the stereo system and power with one cable. Let me know if you know of any. Thanks

2. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I also am having this issue. I have an Element Case I just received the other day and, to my surprise, the lightning to 30 pin adapter (with the .2m cord) doesn't fit my iPhone 5 when I have the Element Case! You can tell from the pictures that the left lightning connector is clearly much thinner than the lightning connector on the right. It's pretty upsetting because I was having decent luck with several other cases fitting the lightning to 30-pin adapter in my car, but not the most expensive one :mad:

My only 2 thoughts for solutions are either to buy a generic version of the 30-pin adapter that might have a thinner lightning connector profile, or the other solution would be to find some sort of female-to-male lightning extender cable, which would add even more clutter in my car.

What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

3. shleif macrumors newbie

The fix is easy! I just filed the plastic down a bit on the lightening end and it worked like a charm. Took less than a minute to do. The plastic on that lightening plug is plenty thick and you only need to file a little bit on each side.

4. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Do you have an Element Case? And if you don't mind me asking, what did you use to sand the plastic down?

5. shleif, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

shleif macrumors newbie

Yes, I do own a Sector 5.. I used my big electric grinder on one and a metal file on my second adapter. The plug body is solid all the way through. There is a glue or epoxy that you can see which is the clear area that I sanded into. It was simple and worked like a charm and didn't damage the cable at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Sweet thanks really appreciate the help!

7. shleif macrumors newbie

You are very welcome.. I figured the pictures were worth a thousand words! Hopefully this will help others as well!

8. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Just in case anyone else ever needs to reference this again, I just want to say that I spent about 3 minutes shaving the edges of my Lightning-to-30-pin adapter off using just scissors and I was able to get it to fit into the Element Case. It's only a tiny margin preventing the adapter from fitting into the case, so I would advise anyone who needs to get this to work to just shave the edges off using scissors. There's essentially no way for you to mess it up.

9. meistervu macrumors 65816

Famous last words

10. truss009 macrumors newbie

You guys were right, I simply used a nail file to shave it down. Now it works perfectly!