Low-res wallpaper?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mavis, Sep 21, 2014.

1. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Am I the only one this is happening to? Whenever I set wallpaper for my iPhone 6, it goes low-res. As a demonstration, in this wallpaper you can clearly see trees on the third ridge, but when I save it as wallpaper, you can't. Looks pretty bad, really.

Original
    [​IMG]

Saved as wallpaper
    [​IMG]

Is this happening to anyone else?

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Just curious, do you see the same thing if you disable the perspective zoom effect when you set the wallpaper?

3. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Yes. I always disable perspective zoom. Here's another example:

Original:
    [​IMG]

Saved as WP (perspective zoom disabled):
    [​IMG]

Is this an iPhone 6 issue, or an iOS 8 issue? Is the 6 Plus also affected?

4. Ann P macrumors 68020

Low-res wallpaper?!

Have a 6 and don't have this issue. When you set as wallpaper, the wall automatically zooms in a bit. You need to pinch and zoom out accordingly.

5. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

It looks to me that you also have Display Zoom turned on (based on your carrier/battery bar). I did a test and took screenshots with Display Zoom on and off and when it's on, the wallpaper is definitely a little softer. I'm not sure that's your issue, but try turning off Display Zoom if it's on.

6. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Display Zoom is off (the lock screen has had an enlarged 'status bar' since iOS 7)

----------

I always do that, to disable perspective zoom without having to hit the button.

7. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

OK, I installed some 1920x1080 test patterns as wallpapers, took screen shots, and compared them to the originals. It does appear there is a small bit of blurring happening, hence a loss in sharpness, but it's pretty minor, you have to be zoomed into Photoshop to see it (I couldn't see it just looking at the Plus lock screen). Maybe the downscaler, maybe they apply a little image compression to make load times faster?

8. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

I figured out how to avoid the problem. It occurs when you use a larger wallpaper (I was using my iMac wallpaper and my rMini's wallpaper). If you size the the wallpaper first, then take a screenshot, the screenshot can be used as wallpaper without going low-res.

Guess it's just an iOS 8 bug

9. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

There's plenty of those around, report it to Apple.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html