Low Resolution on 13" MBP - issue or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BMWNEW, May 8, 2011.

1. BMWNEW, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

BMWNEW macrumors member

Dear Macrumorers,
    I was interested in 13" MBP (love portability in coupe with power and upgradability). But one thing I was really afraid of is resolution.
    My 10" (not 13,3, but 10,1!) VAIO 2009 (again, not 2011) has 1366 * 768 (same as 11" Air has), but MBP has only 1280 * 800. Let's see:
    1366*768 = 1 049 088 pixels
    1280*800 = 1 024 000 pixels

Why do I have so small workplace?

And do you, guys, have problems with your eyes after using MBP 13" for a long period of time? Had anyone got "resolution blues" after MBA?
    I've seen one post: it was written that because of the size of all icons, MBP's screen is better in some way...

Thanks in advance!

2. SwedishBassist macrumors member

I haven't had any problem at all with the resolution on my 13", TBH. I have multiple windows open most of the time, and because the desktop is un-cluttered I have no issues at all.

I suggest going to an Apple store (or equivalent) and playing around with one.

3. BMWNEW thread starter macrumors member

Thank you)
    Oh, I played with one already. It feels a bit pixelated, but not a real issue. Another thing is - how do you feel after 4 hours of working on it?

4. SwedishBassist macrumors member

I honestly feel much better than with my old 15" Packard Bell laptop. The screen quality is superb, and the colours are vivid.

5. smugDrew macrumors member

I'm not buying because of the resolution, and hope that there is a 'late-2011' update to the MacBook range and that the resolution on the 13" MBP can be at least bumped up to the same resolution as the 13" MBA 1440x900

6. Kafka macrumors 6502

In this case I'm the opposite of most people I guess. I used a 13"MBA for like 6 months and recently bought a 13"MBP. Well, I prefer the MPB's screen...
    Actually it depends: gaming is obviously better on the MBA's higher res, but for general use I prefer the MBP. The smaller fonts annoyed me on the MBA and zooming in and out got tedious after a while.

And anyway I feel neither of them have enough space to permit the use of multiple windows side by side. Yeah I miss the real estate from time to time, but that's not often enough.

7. MuDPHuDStudent macrumors member

I just got the 15" MBP with the HR AG screen. After using this thing for a week, my old aluminum macbook's screen (same resolution as the current MBP) looks like a toy. I won't even consider going back to 13" until they up the resolution and make it AG.

8. Malcolm. macrumors member

Malcolm.

I used to avoid 1366x768 at all costs, but after I bought an 11" Lenovo notebook with a 1366x768 screen, I can say it's actually OK. Not enough real-estate to do any major work on of course, but at 11" everything looks nice and sharp.

I'm still steering clear of 1366x768 on anything larger than 13". Unfortunately the market is currently flooded with even 15" notebooks at that res, which looks absolutely disgusting.

I would pick smaller, sharper fonts over gigantic pixels that make everything look blurry any day.

9. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have had an 11" MBA and a 13" MBA latest models for several months. I am currently back to a MacBook Pro 13" latest model. The resolution on the Airs was fantastic. I went back to the Pro due to other reasons. I was concerned with how I would do with the lower resolution screen and I came up with a solution that works for me. Never put the machines side by side and compare the screens. I did that for quite a while and also went back and forth between them all. The MBA's look better. When I focussed entirely on the MBP 13" my eyes seem to adjust and the screen looks just fine to me now. Sharp and crisp. I read a post here on the boards some time back that the "brain" adjusts to whatever it is seeing. Maybe that is the case with me. However, as soon as the 13" pro goes up in screen resolution I will surely have one:0

10. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I recently purchased the 2011 Pro 13" and had to return it due to eye strain and occasional headache when using it. Speaking with forum members, it was either the lower resolution screen, the glass panel, or a combination of both those things. I feel that the main culprit though, is the lower resolution; I've used a friend's 15" Pro and have had no problem despite it also having a glass panel. I've also spent a good amount of time at the Apple store playing with the 13" Air and felt little eye strain; the fonts were small, but everything looked sharper and more crisp to compensate.

Of course, everyone's experience is different. You will hear stories from both sides. To be honest, the only way to know for sure is to buy the Pro, and use it extensively during your 14-day return period. You should be able to gauge whether it's right for you or not. In my case, I was over a month beyond the 14 day return period, but I voiced my displeasure and discomfort to the Apple store and they granted me a one-day only exception to get a full refund. I graciously took it. I wouldn't gamble on that scenario happening again, so try your best to decide within 14 days.

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The screen on the 13 is pixelated somewhat but acceptable for me. It's not really an eye strain issue but its very noticeable and gives an otherwise modern and fast machine a dated look.

If screen resolution is important (and if your posting about it I would assume so) then steer clear of the current 13 MBP. You could get an external display with a higher resolution and use that but then your stuck at a desk.

12. altecXP macrumors 65816

For me its an issue, I have problems multitasking on anything under 1440x900.

13. vnle macrumors 6502

IMHO, The resolution of the 13" mbp sucks - if it was a choice between the mbp and mba, I would choose the mba without a doubt. I don't see how you can work productively with more then 3 windows open on that resolution. I hated it so much that I super upgraded to the 17" and have never looked back. Even now, it's a major annoyance when I use my friends' 13" and that's only for ~10 min and once in a while.

14. Kafka macrumors 6502

The Air's 1440x900 made me use exposé just as much as the Pro's 1280x800... But to each his own, I understand.