Low resolution on analog faces?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Knowlege Bomb, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I've used the digital Activity face since it's inception but once I meet my goals for the day or am dressing up a little I like to use simple analog faces. I can't say I ever noticed it on my S1 or S3 but on my S4, if the hands are anywhere other than on the 12, 3, 6 or 9 the edges of the hand are jagged.

Isn't the pixel density on these things supposed to be pretty high? Seems kinda sloppy to me.

2. Julien, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018

Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Post some screenshots of this.

Just for kicks here is an analog.

IMG_5661.png

3. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

4. MacDevil7334 macrumors 65816

MacDevil7334

Don’t have a series 4 but that is pretty bad. Looks like Apple just upscaled the old faces to the new width of the screen rather than re-rendering everything at the larger size. The upscaling would cause the pixelation.

5. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

My series 3 does not look like this. Nice and crisp.

6. stanft, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018

stanft macrumors member

I noticed the same after switching from Series 2 to Series 4.

I made the following screenshots from the same watch face. The first image is from a 42mm Series 2, the second from a 44mm Series 4. I tried to position the second hand on a similar position. And the difference in rendering is very obvious.

One explanation might be the upscaling of an old watch face that has not been optimized for the new resolution (as mentioned above already). But I am not really convinced on this. I'd rather believe that Apple just turned of some anti-aliasing because of the higher resolution of the new displays to save GPU power and battery. A hint for this might be that the screenshot of the Series 2 has no aliasing on the second hand but in total looks more blurry.

Series 2:
    [​IMG]

Series 4:
    [​IMG]

Best regards,
    Stephan

7. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

it must be bug, i've seen the same thing on my series 4. Some how, it went away, maybe a restart fixed it, not sure.

8. the future macrumors 65816

Same here, a restart fixed the problem for me as well.