Low Response From SM58

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by BreederCreature, Nov 8, 2007.

1. BreederCreature macrumors member

BreederCreature

I'm recording some rough acoustic demos right now using a SM58, which is connected through the direct-in on my MacBook (using Garagband). I'm using an XLR to 1/4" converter cable and then a 1/4" to 1/8" converter cable, which then goes to the direct-in jack. Could this be cutting down the response level of my SM58? I had to layer 8 of the same guitar track to get a good level.

Should I spring for a condensor mic (I think that's what you're "supposed" to recording acoustic with if I'm not mistaken) or an audio interface if the converter cables are the problem?

Any help would be great! :D

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The problem is your Mac has a line level input. You have a mic, which doesn't output anywhere near a line level (as you have found).

What you need is either a preamplifier for the mic, or an outboard USB or Firewire audio interface which will amplify and convert the mic signal to digital.

Please read through the sticky posts at the top of the Digital Audio forum.

3. BreederCreature thread starter macrumors member

BreederCreature

ugh, I keep forgetting the most basic stuff. I let my friend borrow my preamp and totally forgot about it. thanks for your help!