Low Sound in Bootcamp (Vista)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wsoxfan, Jul 5, 2009.

1. wsoxfan macrumors newbie

I've got the latest MBP 13inch with Vista installed on Bootcamp. I've turned the sound all the way up and it's still very low. I've got all the latest boot camp drivers installed, I've tried viewing different videos trying to see if the video was the culprit, but unfortunately it wasn't. I searched around and I've seen others with this issue, but haven't found a fix.

I've watched the same videos in Leopard that I did in Vista and they're a lot louder.

2. gman901 macrumors 6502a

Yes, the same issue is happening with Windows XP in bootcamp. I am assuming you also get the red light showing all the time in your headphone port. I am sure Apple is working with the company that handles the audio drivers. My 2008 unibody MacBook was very loud and had no problems with Bootcamp. Right now, I use the headphone jack when listening to audio because it is quite loud.

3. t3heford macrumors member

Same problem. XP, low sound (seems to be louder on the left side), and red light in headphone jack. I called Apple and the guy had no idea...told me to book an appointment at an Apple store. I'll report back after my appointment tomorrow.
    You'd think they'd test drivers -_- Apparently not.

4. Jatku macrumors member

I had the same problem the second time I installed vista. I reinstalled it and it works fine now.

5. t3heford macrumors member

So, like I expected, the Genius had no idea to fix it. All he did was try and reinstall the driver CD. He urged me though to call up Apple and get this elevated to Apple Engineering so they can work out a driver fix.

And to the person above me, reinstalling did not work. I had windows xp installed and still had the sound issues, and then today I installed windows 7, and guess what? Sound issues.
    Very annoyed.

6. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I have a same issue when I run Vista via Bootcamp, but the same install gives me zero issues when I run it in VMware Fusion.

7. t3heford macrumors member

Same here.

8. marcobaldus macrumors newbie

Low audio using xp bootcamp

On my new macbook pro 2,66 when I use XP with bootcamp I have the same problem: very low audio on speakers, but still right level using headphones. Also I noticed that webcam is only 120x160 pixels instead of 640x480 on normal xp running pc. I've called Apple Care in Italy but no solution. The girl told me that I was the first she heard with this problem.
    In MAc OS everything is ok. I'll try to use Parallels Desktop next Saturday
    and I'll tell you.
    Marco

9. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

that would DEFINETLEY be the drivers on the windows side then :)

10. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

Are you all using VMWare Fusion? I had this problem a while ago using VMWare Fusion, and installed the "additions", after the additions were installed, the sound was very low on Vista in BootCamp, but when using VMWare Fusion, the sound was fine. I uninstalled the additions and re-installed my sound driver, and it worked. I figured it might have just been a one-off issue, but this thread makes me think it might be something with the VMWare additions messing around with something.

11. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I had the low sound in Bootcamp before I installed VMWare Fusion.

12. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

try to install latest high def. driver from realtek. (R 2.28)
    (also redlight will be gone)

sometimes you have to install it twice ..

13. wroachbarrette macrumors newbie

i have updated bootcamp but i still get no sound from either the headphones or the speakers, please help

14. mightymouseusf macrumors newbie

What a mess

The whole thing is a mess for me...the sound on my 13" MBP when i'm on Windows 7 is super low...no sound at all coming from the headphone jack (must be trying to use the headphone jack as a minitoslink out port since the laser is constantly on) and there seems to be no correct stack to work with my stereo bluetooth headset. When you add to that the fact that the trackpad is ridiculously sensitive (often clicking and creating a drag box when i'm trying to simply move the cursor around), it makes using bootcamp pretty much useless for me right now. Which really sux since one of the main reasons I moved to a mac was i was told i could run window seamlessly through bootcamp.

Crazy thing is when i virtualize in parallels, all these things work perfectly! Must have something to do with the Window's Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL). It's too bad i refuse to use virtualization for the gaming I want to do or that would be my easy answer!

I read somewhere that apple intends to full support windows 7 with new drivers by the end of the year. Can't wait.