Low Speaker Volume...not anymore...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by insocal, Oct 15, 2007.

1. insocal macrumors regular

So last night, I was hanging out with some friends and two of them also have iPhones. I'd always felt my Speaker Volume had been too low, even since the Firmware Update. So we did a Side by Side Comparison of not just the iPod but also of Certain Apple Ringtones. There was a HUGE difference.

On mine, you could barely even hear the Visual Voicemail messages either.

So I went to APPLE today and they did a Side by Side with one of their Display Models and agreed it was obviously much lower. I went to The Genius Bar and they swapped it out for me. The Tech said it was NEW but I'm not so sure about that as it had some kind of name (******'s iPhone), wasn't a proper name but was still something...Anyway, not a big deal at all.

I just wanted to say for those of you questioning whether you have low volume....you're not crazy, at least not about that! :) This 'new' iPhone is like night and day in terms of volume. I'm extremely happy.

Maybe you can try doing what I did and testing next to an In Store Demo.

In case it makes any difference, I got mine on Day 1 from an AT&T Store.

Good Luck!

2. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

Just ordered my new iphone. is the speaker volume really that loud w/ the update? Like loud enough to clearly listen to music through?

3. insocal thread starter macrumors regular

I have to say, it's really pretty darn good for a small speaker. It's much better than my first handset, for sure. The louder you go, it definitely loses quality but for a quiet room, I am in my home office right now and it sounds great! Perfectly acceptable. I'm sure it also depends on what kind of music you are listening to and how much bass is involved, etc.

It is perfect with the headphones, of course.

4. Ipaqman macrumors 6502

5. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I dunno but I've had my iPhone since launch and i usually don't use the max volume while talking.

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

omg here we go with the serial numbers again.

what serial numbers have the better serial numbers?

7. Ipaqman macrumors 6502

ive already returned 4 iphones 2 with neg screen and 2 with dead pixels. i want to make sure i get a good one cause im sick of returning them

8. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Fifth time lucky? :)

9. ndividual macrumors newbie

i just bought a 4gb from AT&T on Saturday, there was a black pixel flickering all over the phone so brought it into Apple the next day and they gave me a new 4gb. It has the 1.1.1 update but I still feel the speaker volume is a little lower than an average cell phone speakerphone volume. Does anyone know if this is a 4gb issue and should I bring it back to Apple now for what would be a 3rd time?
    Part of me wants to just get the 8gb but that's extra money I don't really have plus I'd probably have to pay the stupid 10% restocking fee.

Any suggestions?

you guys are always geniuses on the MR boards!!

thanks so much!

10. philhyde macrumors member

ndividual, if I recall the price diff from 4GB to 8GB was $100. Now you can upgrade to an 8GB for what, $39? Doesn't sound like a bad deal really, and you may end up with even newer hardware. :D

11. ndividual macrumors newbie

hmm...

i wish i could only play 40 bucks and walk away with an 8gb.

i paid about $325 (this includes the taxes) for a 4gb phone. if i wanted to buy the 8gb i'd have to pay about another 140 bucks, unless there is something i am missing?

in any sense is having this 4gb going to cause me more problems with trade-ins, hardware issues, etc?

12. philhyde macrumors member

I guess I mis-understood what you were saying about a re-stocking fee. No worries. :p

13. ndividual macrumors newbie

after reading a couple of the other threads out there i'm wondering if i was given a refurbished iphone. has anyone had to return their iphone and given a "new" one but they made you keep your box? so now my serial number on my iphone doesn't match what's on my original receipt and they never gave me a new updated receipt with the new serial number. when i went to apple's support to enter my serial and check the warranty it says an issue date of august 10 so now i'm concerned that my iphone is refurbished.
    grr... i love apple but i'm getting a little irked that it has caused so many problems the past few days when i've never had problems with any of the other apple products )c:
    boo.

14. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

I've had concerns about my speaker volume, and was tempted to take it to the genius bar to see about a swap too. But I've also had a concern about getting a refurb. And this issue you've brought up bothers me as well. I'm kind of a stickler about crossing t's and dotting i's just in case a warrantee issue comes up in the future. I could see that becoming a problem down the road with the way that Apple is handling the issue of the 1.1.1 update on [apparently] unhacked phones being locked.

15. philhyde macrumors member

Apple may very well give you a refurb. If I were within the original exchange window (2 weeks?) I would demand a new phone. Otherwise, they aren't doing anything differently than other cell phone companies. I've had my share of refurb exchanges with Cingular, and after 6-8 months of use the refurb is usually nicer anyhow.

16. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

If it was "Refurbished" the original purchase date should have been deleted & it would have been restocked without a sales date in the system. My concern in your instance would be that you may have received a returned phone that never went through any refurbish/check out process.

17. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Volume is allot better in the newer update, 1.1.1

Is there a group/forum on here for selling Apple computers, ipods, and such