Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applefanatic46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
I just got a new 13" MBAir and i love it. Its got the i7 and Samsung ssd/display. My problem is that whenever i use youtube the fan goes insane. I've tried chrome, firefox and safari and am currently using safari with click to flash and flash installed. Whenever I go on Youtube, after a minute or so, i'll see 6k+ fan speeds. Is anybody else seeing this as well? This happens with flash and click to flash H.264. The back part of the machine where the fan is gets really warm as well. The temps stay low but the fan just runs like mad even after closing safari and just letting it sit idle.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I'm noticing the fan is very aggressive on my 13" i7 Air (don't know if it's the hardware, or Lion, or both). It comes on and ramps up quickly to keep temps under control, but it also spins down fast when CPU cycles drop (usually within a few seconds). It's a tradeoff I guess, even under heavy load like World of Warcraft, it runs lot cooler than my early 2010 MacBook Pro, which will literally burn bare skin on the bottom.

Applefanatic46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
I'm gonna try the fan reset. The thing is that it doesn't just ramp down. Once i closed Safari it took close to a minute to get to 2200ish levels. The cpu temps were low, so i don't think that it was because it was trying to cool stuff down. The bottom of the laptop was really warm so it might be that the fans were just going overtime to keep the temps real low.

Applefanatic46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
It Worked!

I reset the SMC and it worked perfectly. I watched a 13ish minute 1080p youtube video in H.264 and the fan was at 2k and temps 55-65*. With a 16min 720p flash youtube video the temps jumped around from 55-72* and the fan went from 2000-3200 along with the temps. Even with flash the temps only peaked for a minute or so about 1/4 of the way into the video. Thanks for the suggestion, I had totally forgotten about the SMC reset and was thinking that 6000+ fan speeds weren't normal.

Last edited:

Applefanatic46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Update

The fans are at it again. It's mostly happening with video, both flash and h.264, but this time temps are up too. During some Youtube videos in 720p H.264 i was up to 80*c and the fans got up to 5500 rpm at one point. Hopefully Apple will release an update that will help keep the fan/temps under control.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
The fans are at it again. It's mostly happening with video, both flash and h.264, but this time temps are up too. During some Youtube videos in 720p H.264 i was up to 80*c and the fans got up to 5500 rpm at one point. Hopefully Apple will release an update that will help keep the fan/temps under control.

Is this really something that can be fixed?
Under some fairly heavy use, The temps can jump to 80-90 and fans run at 5000+. At first I thought this was unusual, but I'm inclined to believe this is just the design. The fans are loud and the computer is hot but this seems like something I have to get used to, rather than waiting for a "fix".

iphonsteve4ajob

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2011

Saw your post and I loaded a couple of YouTube vids. Flash and h.264. Watched both for about 10 minutes. Cpu temp hovered around 55C, usage at 5%, fans 2K. I toggled back and forth between full screen mode to see if that made a difference and nothing. I'm running a 13" i5.

The only time I see temps and rpm's like that are watching Netflix vids. Usually 20-30% cpu usage w/ fans at 4-5K, cpu temp 70C.

rbn

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
where is the laptop sitting?

sometimes i find that even if my CPU temps are low, my fan speeds ramp up when my enclosure temps are above 36 degrees C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.