Low Touchscreen Yields Reportedly Contributing to iPad Mini Pricing

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 25, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Digitimes reports that one of the primary reasons that Apple was unable or unwilling to launch the iPad mini at a price below $329 is ongoing difficulties with touchscreen production as Apple transitions to new "GF2 Dito" technology.
    [​IMG]

Apple's transition to the new touch structure was mentioned by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo back in late August, with Kuo noting that hurdles experienced in that transition were one of the primary reasons that prevented Apple from launching iPad mini earlier than it did.

Today's report also notes that supply chain sources are continuing to see orders for the iPad 2 extending as far as the first quarter of next year, suggesting that Apple will indeed keep that model available for some time. One analyst had speculated last week that Apple might drop the iPad 2 in favor of the iPad mini in order to maintain a streamline product lineup, but at its media event this week the company was clear that the iPad 2 at $399 Wi-Fi/$529 cellular remains an integral part of its iPad portfolio even as the third-generation iPad has been discontinued.

Article Link: Low Touchscreen Yields Reportedly Contributing to iPad Mini Pricing

2. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

3. allamoureux07 macrumors member

4. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

The iPad Mini is looking more and more appealing. Damn you, Apple. Somehow, someway, I always say I'm not going to get it, then I get one. :mad:

5. iThinkIt macrumors regular

iThinkIt

going to order one tomorrow.. I've got to have one....:apple::D

6. SprodeBoy macrumors member

The "we like money" could also maybe possibly be a factor. And why shouldn't it?

7. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Specs rise, prices fall, yields improve... time solves a lot. (Digitimes? Take with salt.)

Meanwhile, skip a meal out for two and you'll recover the $30 and be able to own an iPad Mini!

Wondering the same. Thinner? More accurate color?

8. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

9. kevinkt macrumors 6502

10. Techwriter macrumors regular

I'm a glutton for punishment also - alarm set - credit card ready!

11. ivladster macrumors 6502

ivladster

pretty wild

I think it's amazing to be a company that cannot make enough of its product to sell to so many. It's rarely seen in any business. Apple is going through its honeymoon phase ... for the past 8 years.

12. DotCom2 macrumors 601

13. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

14. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

i wouldn't go back as far as 8 years.

the iPod helped save Apple from the grave, yes, but it was iOS that rocketed them up to the sky. their stock price history shows that

15. mitso macrumors member

I call BS on this argument. Phil Schiller eluded to "quality". That's an easy way to justify the money grab.

16. netdoc66 macrumors regular

netdoc66

Apple needs to eat that cost. Why dropp new technology when you haven't perfected the manufacturing process yet?

17. Intarweb macrumors 6502a

So buy five tonight and reap the profits for the holiday season?

18. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

19. theOtherGeoff macrumors regular

You realize that Ming-Chi Kuo worked for DigiTimes prior to becoming a market analyst.

Having Digitimes be the 'confirmation' is like getting my mother to alibi me on the night of the murder ("I was playing cards with my mother, Officer, call her and ask")

20. lilo777 macrumors 603

Low yields probably have more to do with switching to inferior supplier from Samsung than with new technology. Apple will lose a lot more than the $1 billion (that they will probably never get anyways) because of the way they treated Samsung.

21. auero macrumors 65816

22. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Out of the question for 6 months so apple as usual can make money from early up takers before bumping up the specs.

(I, personally have been on of those from time to time and usually the pleasure of getting my hands on a product first out weighted that there was a new one out before I knew it)

23. firewood macrumors 604

The people crazy enough to want one NOW should eat the cost. Why should shareholders and customers willing to wait eat it?

24. auero macrumors 65816

Why? Look at how well Amazon's Kindle Fire sells and its hardly a profit. It's the content they sell that really makes them the money.

More iPads = more purchases via the appstore.

25. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I'm still puzzling over Apple's choice to discontinue the iPad 3 but keep the iPad 2 in production. I'm actually glad about the decision, since that leaves one Apple iDevice with the old-style dock connector. I'm sure that the iPad 2 is cheaper to produce, thus they can sell it for a slightly cheaper price. But if someone is prepared to spend $399 for an iPad, why wouldn't they pony up the extra $100 and get the newest model? It doesn't seem like a big enough difference in price.