Lowend iMac keep for a year and sell or high end and keep for three?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Qwerty11, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Qwerty11 macrumors regular

This is something i have been doing a lot of thought about lately. The low end i3 21" iMac would suit my needs for probably a year. The top of the line i7 would probably serve for three years before technology passed it up. I was originally going to go with the i7, but after seeing how well the year old lower end iMacs depreciate, I am starting to think i might be best to get a low end unit and sell it everyear and get a new one. Ideas?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Well, if your computing needs don't change, there really isn't a need for a new computer. If you just do basic stuff, the i7 is beyond overkill, and it still would be in three years. It more depends on what you want to do with it

3. Qwerty11 thread starter macrumors regular

Batch processing photos and running protools in a studio. I see no reason my i3 couldn't handle it now.

4. bigmacman macrumors member

bigmacman

The i3 should be able to serve your needs for the next 2 to 3 years.

5. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

I have a new 27" i7 with 8GB ram (2 x 4 GB for future proofing) and a 2TB HDD arriving either today or tomorrow. I am passing on to my son my current (3 years old) 24" iMac in my sig. I say buy top-end (as many extras as you can afford) now and sell or hand down in 3 years.

Rich :cool:

6. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

buy high and pimp it yourself so in three years you can sell it for as much as it cost you