LowEndMac.com

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Imixmuan, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Should be renamed "old fuddy duds who don't really like macs that are over three years old too much, whinge on about "support" and make stuporous comments like "tenfourfox is really slowing down, but I do tend to have about ten applications at once open on my 500 mhz Powerbook Pismo upgrade G4, maybe that has something to do with it". Seriously? What person in their right mind expects a modern browser to fight for RAM with ten other applications that aren't textedit or wannabe.

I am boycotting them as of today. Except for the tech specs, I quite like the tech specs. I haven't learned a thing on lowendmac in over a year, I don't give a crap about macbook pros with retinal displays or monkey see monkey doo ipads/iphones.

I get all my old mac info from this place, mymaccollection, ppcluddite, mintppc.org and tenfourfox development blog. If someone on this site wants to start a REAL lowendmac.com I am so there.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I haven't used the site very much to form the same opinion as you. I've found a few useful articles, but I will say this. Most of the stuff I've read on there is usually something I found out about some other place. I do a lot of Google searching for different kinds of PowerPC browsers and consistently lowendmac comes up with the same old same old. As to their guides, I've used them from time to time, but I actually rely on Mactracker far more then I ever do them. I do go there on occasion for news, but it's usually pretty slim picking there for that.

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

4. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

LEM used to have a great staff of writers who strived to help people get the most out of hardware. The last year or two they have turned into a bunch of mindless follow the leader users that are all grabbing for iPads and modern Macs.

Their name is now a complete lie.

5. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

Wow rather harsh don't ya think?

I don't personally know Dan Knight. Over the years I actually found LowEndMac to be a useful resource to me. I have been active on the mailing lists for years. There is a really good core group of people like here that are willing to help with anything from the mundane to the obscure. They were all quiet understanding when I was ripping my hair out trying to figure out an old school modem connection on my G3/300 tower while I was living in Turkey. I guess the site might not be useful for everyone, but these are the days of the interwebs. If you don't like the format/content? Well that is fine. You can get specs at www.everymac.com if you really don't like em that much. But an all out boycott? A bit quick on the emotional trigger don't ya think?

6. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

I'm not on LowEndMac all the time, but I do enjoy reading their array of articles on old Macintoshes.

7. TheUI macrumors newbie

Hey guys, first post here on MacRumors and I wanted to ask about an older machine. I saw this post on the front page (of the forums) and figured what the heck. So, I have always been a PC guy, and this past Christmas my wife bought me my first Apple product which was an iPad 2. After 4 Android tablets I have to say, I love the device. One month later, I'm on a 4s. So, now the backdrop is set, I have a capable PC, which I installed SL on in a VBox too get a feel for the OSX flow and I like it. However I'm hesitant to drop a bundle on a new kit because I'm in school right now, and money isn't flowing like wine. I was thinking of getting a 2007 Pro with around 4GB of RAM and slapping an SSD in it. I do mostly web browsing, email, and word processing on my computer. I'm not a gamer and I'm not a graphic designer. I do use iTunes but I don't really do any video editing.

So, what do you grizzled veterans of Mac suggest about that particular plan I just laid out?

8. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

If you want a solid "daily driver," I'd recommend you pick up a dual processor PowerMac G5. That's the most "bang for your buck" because you can get them all day long for under $200US.

9. TheUI macrumors newbie

Interesting. Thank you. I was hoping to stick with an Intel chip set though.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Note that you are asking about an Intel Mac (2007 Pro) while tayloralmond is suggesting a PowerMac G5. The two are entirely different when it comes to processors. PowerMacs are not Intel. You won't be able to run Snow Leopard on a G5 (the highest you can go is Leopard). You also won't be able to run any Intel only apps on the G5. The switch from PowerPC to Intel happened in 2006 BTW so any Mac made after that year will be Intel.

But you're asking about an Intel Mac in a PowerPC Mac forum… ;)

11. TheUI macrumors newbie

Yeah, I knew about the architecture switch and I do apologize for posting in the wrong place I was under the impression this was a legacy forum. Everyone else is talking about rMBP on this site! :D I see the OP has some solid info up, maybe I can find some legacy devices there, plus a quick check showed that a 2007 MBP will run ML so, that's cool. An SSD and 6GB of RAM should be solid though, I've never used a C2D, my PC has an i5. Thanks for the patience and responses all!

----------

Also, your website has MGS running on an OG iMac. You sir, get all of the Internets.

12. Orange Furball, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Ahh what the hay, let's do it. I have no life anyway. PM me... we will iron out the details

Edit: aww shucks. I'll just PM you. I have no idea I'd you are reading these.

13. TheUI macrumors newbie

Sweet! I am going to like it here.

14. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Yeah, LowEndMac hasn't really helped me either lately. But if they want to write about new macs, so be it. I won't turn to them when I need PPC-info - but I'm not going to boycot them.

Furthermore, I'd love to have another site in my collection of PPC related bookmarks. Please go for it. :)

15. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Well... I don't blame them to be honest. We have gotten to the point where maxing out G3s doesn't do us any good anymore because they are just so slow for anything except the actual software that's being run on them. G4s are a lot better, especially the highest end of the iMacs and iBooks, but they have the flash issues. The PowerMac G5 is great, really, really great, but everything has been said and done so moving on is the best choice for a website like theirs.

The oldest Intel machines are from 2006, and they are still relevant to the point that you cannot make any real good discussion about maintaining and upgrading them. My Late 2006 has Lion on it and will probably get Mountain Lion via XPostFacto type means, so it's not like it's being left behind. It still runs beautifully.

So when you have nothing left to talk about on a subject, it's best to just move on. Obviously they still have a passion for old Macs, but are not afraid to play with new tech.

16. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

I just might be able to help as well:).

17. sigamy macrumors 65816

I just went to LEM the other day after not visiting for months and months. I read a post that the owner of the site hit hard times and has been working two and three jobs to make ends meet and it has impacted the amount of time he can spend on the site.

IMO, the site was most valuable during the OS 9 to OS X transition. Back when people were trying to get OS X to run on Pismos or even Wallstreets. Time marches on and a LEM today is probably a Core Duo, which is more than enough for web and productivity stuff.

18. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

So what do we want to exactly? We need a plan...

19. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

I might be able to host it... I'm using a dynamic DNS though, and it's with 3 other (Light) websites on a Core Solo Mini that gets very heavy use. Also, I might be able to write a couple articles/throw something together using HTML/CSS. I was sort of disappointed by their recent content, though I liked their thing on 'reviving' a clamshell iBook. The CF card upgrade was pretty interesting.

20. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I have good internet. And if I can get this net book running I can do a really slow server. If we have to of course

21. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I have had a new site in the works with ThunderSnake since we both left powerpcusers.com. I am simply waiting till I have 15+ articles before I go live with it. I have 7 so far and working on another 3.

I want it meaty from the start.

22. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I hope the home page includes your painted G4 tower :D

I swear you could sell that to Apple, wouldn't it be neat if the Next Mac Pro was that awesome looking?;)

23. Imixmuan, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

Imixmuan thread starter macrumors 6502

Caused a little stir

...and I didn't even know it. Busy day removing animals reproductive organs (I am a vet), haven't gotten on line till now. I guess was writing last night out of frustration with Charles Moore's recent columns, and also with some alcoholic libation on board, if you couldn't already have guessed that.

I have learned tons from Lowendmac.com over the years. Feel I need to make that clear. I am also saddened to hear Dan Knight as had a rough go of it lately. They just jumped over to writing almost exclusively about Intel and iNonsense. I understand time moves on, tech progresses. I've got a Powerbook 190 and a SE/30 that sit on my shelf unused. Well, I turn them on every once and while, just to prove I can. I still feel PowerPC has a ton of life left in it, though, and if anyone should be PowerPC's champion, it's lowendmac.

I agree with Arii that the clamshell upgrade post (austin leeds) was about the most interesting thing on lowendmac.com in awhile. I am itching to try that, once a clamshell falls in my lap. His posts on Ubuntu on a Thinkpad (lowendpc.com) are also very good.

I look forward to zen.states new site. In the last year I have learned more about PowerPC from his posts than anything else, I think.

----------

24. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

Count me in on the site!

Hell's Bells and light the cat on fire! You all are damned right there is a ton of life left in the PowerPC line. Let me know what I can do to help. Being there is next to zero jobs about here in North/Central California and my wife is deployed again count me in. I would love to write for a new site that shares the same passion I have for these beasts. Would be a down right nice way to pass the time tell school starts again in January! PM away, feel free to email or grab me via IM.

25. TheUI macrumors newbie

Okay guys, since I have obviously found a clique of gurus here :D I have to admit, I'm starting to like the feels I get from the PowerMac G5. I think I may be joining the PM family. I just need to find a definitive resource to pour over, so I can be aware of things like Wifi support and whether or not software was optimized for the Quad cores, etc.