Lower back pain

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wywern209, Jun 29, 2009.

1. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

Recently, I have been having some back pain and I know it's not a one time thing because I don't seem to be able to sleep it off. It's there all the time. Btw, I do karate a few times a week but it can't be that because I recently started it after taking off for school clubs and drivers Ed. I'm just 16 so it isn't Anthony age related like artiritis or slip- disk. Anyone know what this could be?and no, weight is not my problem; I weigh 120 lbs Nd I'm about 5' 7".

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Do you curl up when you sleep? I cannot sleep on my side or I wake up with bad back pain (Well I can't even get to sleep before it starts hurting)

3. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

try lying on your back with your feet (from your knee down) on a chair.

so...
    back flat on the floor, don't put anything under your neck or head
    have your hips bent at a 90 degrees
    and your knees at a 90 with your calves on a chair.
    make sure its the right high (not to high or low)

try it for a little bit. and do some stretching
    ill post stretches if you want. just do the basic ones.

4. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I have had on and off back pain that's not really consistent and I don't know if this is what you're talking about but it really helped to get good shoes or at least insoles. If I were in your position I might try new shoes, in my case it was all bad posture but everyone's different.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Very simple. I had the same problem for a while. Your core is weak. Do crunches and leg lifts. Do fifty reps a day and you'll be fine. Believe me, I know what you're talking about.

6. ryan macrumors 6502

Starting a new exercise or even a stretching regimen when you're in pain is not a good idea. The best thing for you to do would be to go see your doctor. Just because you're young doesn't preclude you from having something wrong with your back.

7. macdim macrumors 6502

+1 on weak core.

To relieve the pain while sleeping, sleep on your side with a pillow between your legs/knees. Feels awesome depending on how badly your back hurts.

8. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

You need to increase the strength of your core and loosen up your hamstrings. Tight hamstrings are caused by extended periods spent sitting (in class, at your computer) as well as some genetic factors, and they pull down on your pelvis causing a posterior pelvic tilt. This reduces curvature of the spine, which strains the muscle, causing lower back pain.

After a session of core exercises, take the time to perform a few stretches for your hamstrings, and make sure you do a few extra after your karate sessions. You can find a good stretching routine on YouTube.

I would also suggest checking with your doctor.

9. wywern209 thread starter macrumors 65832

wywern209

i do spend a lot of time on MR. maybe taking a break isn't a bad idea.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I get a bad back when I sleep on my girlfriend's bed. I think it's just the matress, I sleep in the same position (on my stomach with left arm under the pillow) as I do on my own bed.

So it might be down to the matress or position you sleep in? That's all I can suggest.

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

thier things

lower back pain could be mistaken for dehydration,
    When I worked at Intel we would spend 40+ hours a week in the clean room.
    not drinking enuf affects the kidneys.

Lower back pain can be cause by shoes not fitting properly or not being tied.