Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This year's lower-end iPhone 14 models will have a display with the same bezel thickness as the iPhone 13 series, according to an unverified but increasingly plausible source coming out of Asia.

iPhone-14-Mock-pill-and-hole-thumb.jpg

Apple is expected to release lower-end 6.1-inch iPhone 14 and 6.7-inch iPhone 14 Max models that continue to have a notch this year. According to a post from the account "yeux1122" on the Korean blog Naver, these models will share the same bezel size as last year's iPhone 13, a claim that runs counter to recent chatter on social media that Apple may be aiming for thinner bezels on all its next-generation smartphones this year.

Apple has worked to reduce the size of the display bezels on a variety of its recent products, including the Apple Watch Series 7, the iPad mini 6, and the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro. That has naturally led to speculation that the iPhone 14, due in the fall, could be next.

In 2020, Apple did in fact trim the bezels around the Super Retina XDR displays in all of its iPhone 12 models, resulting in a slightly more expansive screen-to-body ratio compared to the iPhone 11. However, last year's iPhone 13 stuck with the same bezel size as the iPhone 12.

If today's rumor is accurate, Apple will once again keep the same bezel size on at least the lower-end iPhone 14 models and will instead focus on replacing the notch on the Pro and Pro Max models with a pill-shaped cutout and hole punch for the Face ID sensors and camera.

The Naver blog is the same source of some last-minute rumors about the iPad Air 5 and iPhone SE, and could well be the source of rumors about a "Mac Studio" machine and separate display, all of which we could see later today at Apple's "Peek Performance" event, starting at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time.

Article Link: Lower-End iPhone 14 Models Said to Have Same-Sized Display Bezels As iPhone 13

Last edited:

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Bezels are fine. The notch also doesn’t bother me. Other than an improved zoom, I don’t really know what Apple can bring to the iPhone 14 Pro that would make me upgrade from the 13 Pro. The speed is more than enough, the RAM is more than enough, the cameras are already amazing, it has ProMOTION display, excellent battery life. USB-C and better Zoom are my only wish list items, but even those wouldn’t be enough.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
So are we saying that the iPhone 14 Pro models will feature reduced bezels on the sides, as well as a reduced notch, or merely just a reduced notch? I don't recall seeing rumors in the past about bezel reduction on the 14 Pro models. I'd be happy to see this happen.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Don't really care about bezel/notch, but it would be nice if Apple gave telephoto lens for the regular iPhones. No need to be fancy, just the old sensor with 2x is fine for me. It's annoying that Apple intentionally prevented the telephoto feature to be trickled down to lower prices.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
Unless you're absolutely obsessed with razor thin bezels I don't really see a problem with that. The main "bulk" around my phone is the case and, as long as Apple insists on making the back out of glass, I don't see that going away anytime soon.

I'd even happily take a slightly bigger top and bottom bezel that integrates FaceID and speaker.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Don't really care about bezel/notch, but it would be nice if Apple gave telephoto lens for the regular iPhones. No need to be fancy, just the old sensor with 2x is fine for me. It's annoying that Apple intentionally prevented the telephoto feature to be trickled down to lower prices.
Generally the ultra-wide is more used I believe, that's why. If you ask 100 people whether they want UW or telephoto, at least 70% of them will probably say the UW.

Reactions: d686546s

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
So iPhone 14 non pro will have the same fate as XR then?

Bestseller that everyone hates.

r_123

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2021
Bezels are fine. The notch also doesn’t bother me. Other than an improved zoom, I don’t really know what Apple can bring to the iPhone 14 Pro that would make me upgrade from the 13 Pro. The speed is more than enough, the RAM is more than enough, the cameras are already amazing, it has ProMOTION display, excellent battery life. USB-C and better Zoom are my only wish list items, but even those wouldn’t be enough.
that are my thoughts as well... coming from an 11pro.

proraw seems to be beneficial for me, but wasn't a reason to upgrade yet.

the s22 ultra has kinda useable 10x zoom, i think. i wonder if apple will stick with the 3x zoom.

i think they should also be more aggressive in regards to computational photography. all the horse power from the A-series chips shouldn't be wasted.

Reactions: mjs916 and GuruZac

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2021
I don't really think making the bezels thinner is a good idea,
at least not for those of us who always uses cases and/or
tempered screen protectors....

of course, thinner bezels will probably be great for those
who use their iPhones nakes?

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
USB-C and a better zoom lens, maybe even just the better zoom (really been disappointed with it), would be enough for me. But you’re right, the 13 models are quite excellent.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Generally the ultra-wide is more used I believe, that's why. If you ask 100 people whether they want UW or telephoto, at least 70% of them will probably say the UW.
Before the "Pro" iPhones, Apple tends to trickle down the tech by keeping their flagships at reduced prices in the following years. Telephoto lens used to be a common feature, available in the iPhone 7+ and 8+, trickled way down to mainstream. But suddenly Apple decided that it's a $1000 only feature. Really a bummer.

But not surprising with the current Apple... ?

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
The macrumors render on the article is perfect. Slimmer bezels but nothing crazy (at least it is to my eyes slimmer than the 13/12). Pill / dot cut out is not distracting and 100% better than a notch. Hope we get close to this in September.

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
The macrumors render on the article is perfect. Slimmer bezels but nothing crazy (at least it is to my eyes slimmer than the 13/12). Pill / dot cut out is not distracting and 100% better than a notch. Hope we get close to this in September.
In my opinion, the pill/dot is no better than the notch, just different. It doesn't make a ton of sense to me to have the gap between the pill/dot, just connect them and it's just a bigger pill that (to my mind) looks like an evolution from the notch. But whatever they do, it'll fade in the background with daily use and become the new normal. It (like the notch before it) only looks distracting when blown-up size-wise on a screen.

r_123

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2021
In my opinion, the pill/dot is no better than the notch, just different. It doesn't make a ton of sense to me to have the gap between the pill/dot, just connect them and it's just a bigger pill that (to my mind) looks like an evolution from the notch. But whatever they do, it'll fade in the background with daily use and become the new normal. It (like the notch before it) only looks distracting when blown-up size-wise on a screen.
this pill/dot cutout looks horrible. the only "good" reason would be to be distinguishable... i'm also for a bigger pill-shaped cutout. looks way more balanced.

Reactions: AirunJae
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.